Digital charts

Joeli

Hi there
I was wondering if it is possible to purchase CHC charts in digital (raster) format which will allow printing.
At one time one could buy a the charts in PDF format but those were locked to a specific computer and did not allow printing.
Essentially that arrangement was intended to be used on a ship or a boat.

My current technique is:
- purchase paper charts,
- scan them to TIFF full color 300 DPI,
- edit with TIFF editor (Irfanview)
- print to 11x 17" & laminate

This process worked well but is super time consuming. I would be totally happy to pay for these charts but do they even exist?
I am also using the Navionics app but printing from the Navionics desktop chart viewer is useless.
I am specifically looking for the central coast area which is not covered by a Kimantas atlas nor by any other cruising atlas.
I would be grateful for any updates and tips in that area.

Thanks

Joel

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I don't have a 'digital solution' for you; sorry.

A few years ago, a friend wanted to make a chart set for a trip without destroying his paper charts.
He made a plexiglass rectangle the size that he wanted to print (8 x 14 ??) and then marked his paper charts with pencil outlines using the plexi template (basically laying out a strip chart for the trip).
He went to the Staples copy center and photocopied the marked sections, and then laminated those with a home laminator.
I thought that was pretty clever.

I think people have tried to print the Bluecharts but I don't think it can be easy (or it would be popular).

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
There is a slight possibility of running OpenCPN [free] and loading up all the oeSENC vector charts from o-charts.org for abt $30 and then printing from the in program print routine.
The issue might be that it'd be at screen resolution tho'.

cougarmeat

Paddler
The home laminator I bought long ago has been very useful. Before a trip, I laminate Google Earth images of proposed routes and sometimes tide/current tables. But OfficeMax and probably Staples will also laminate for you for only a buck or two.

eriktheviking

Paddler
There is a slight possibility of running OpenCPN [free] and loading up all the oeSENC vector charts from o-charts.org for abt $30 and then printing from the in program print routine.
The issue might be that it'd be at screen resolution tho'.

The price for the oeSENC charts for the West Coast looks pretty good- about the cost of 2 paper charts. Has anyone seen what the Canadian charts from this look like? I could not find any online. One comparison I did find was for Finland and the oeSENC ones did not look good for paddler routefinding use. The other concern with these is that they have some odd form of DRM needed (install some system files) to make it operational. Possibly this data set is only really useful for big boat electronic navigation systems.