• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

DIY Waterproof Nautical Charts

Batstar

Paddler
Here is a brilliant tip that I borrowed from Mark during our stay on Clarke Island while in the Broken Group. :idea: Mark had brought along these nifty laminated charts which he created himself off his printer. I don’t recall what he was using as a source for his charts but since I already had Bluechart software, I decided to give it a try. He also used a grease pencil for denoting POIs, campsites, etc… :cool:

I used a home laminator and 3 mil ‘Heatseal’ pouches which were thick but flexible enough so that they wouldn’t be difficult to handle on the deck of a boat. I gave up on the larger charts/mapcase a few trips back as I found them to be somewhat bulky and required constant adjustment during trips. These compact (6”x9”) laminated versions are waterproof and will provide a valuable aid alongside my GPS.

The laminating pouches were letter size meaning that I could fit two Bluecharts in one pouch.
Laminationpouch.jpg

Prior to laminating, I used a single hole punch on each paper chart that would allow me to slip a carabiner through to attach to the deck rigging afterwards. The photo below shows the hole covered after lamination. Doing this initial step would create a watertight seal around the hole.
Bluechart5.jpg

Using a razor knife, I cut each 9”x11 ½ ” pouch in half creating two separate charts
Bluechart3.jpg

Bluechart4.jpg

I then went back and used a slightly smaller single punch to create the permanent hole for the carabiner to slide through.
Bluechart6.jpg

Bluechart7.jpg

I ended up laminating 6 pouches (12 individual charts) for the entire Broken Group including the Pinkertons. The level of map detail ranges from .2 to .5 miles. Naturally, the number of charts will vary depending upon the selection of map scale.
Bluechart1.jpg

The Bluechart detail comes through clear and is highly visible.
BlueChart1.jpg

Once again, thanks to Mark for providing this great tip!! :)

Batstar said:
Here is a brilliant tip that I borrowed from Mark...
Terrific. :roll: Mark's hat size is already too small. Do you have any idea how unbearable he gets when he gets compliments like this? Count your lucky stars that you don't have to paddle with him all the time. :wink:

It is a good good idea -- Mark has done up similar charts for me on a couple of trips that we've done together. It's sure a lot easier than refolding charts (which is what I usually do).

btw: Mark, I'm just kidding. Well mostly kidding anyway.

Yeah, yeah. Actually when I did it I thought it was a bit goofy so I didn't bother posting it! :oops:

I actually used a vacuum sealer, since I already had one, but it doesn't do as nice a job. Inevitably you'll get at least one crease in the plastic with the vacuum sealer, and although you can do them double-sided, one side is textured so it's harder to write with the grease pencil on. You also have to be sure to hole punch on the outside of the seal or the whole thing becomes paper mache in a bag.

I did 'borrow' the grease pencil idea from a fellow paddler; it worked well on the charts but I also used it to write important information right on the deck of the boat, next to the front of the cockpit. You can sort of make it out here...

IMG_6067-rs1.jpg

Every morning I'd 'erase' the previous days information, and update it - tide times and heights on one side, and a weather forecast on the other. Seems to work well, and it comes off with a sponge and some elbow grease quite easily.

Great idea!

Along the same lines, I was wondering if anyone knew of where to get large scale colour copying, like to make back-ups of charts. I know we're not supposed to copy them, copyright and all 8O but...

I'd think you'd be ok copying them for your own use, so you don't risk damaging the originals...

A good printing shop should be able to do that. Or, if you're just paddling a smaller area of the chart, do what Art did, and break it down to smaller charts that are more manageable. If your trip spans several charts, you can just flip the cards rather than having to open the map case and shuffle the big chart around. If you have a scanner you can do it all yourself! 8)

Dan_Millsip said:
Count your lucky stars that you don't have to paddle with him all the time. :wink:

Hey, it's not often I get a good idea, so I like to bask in the glory of it once in a while! 8)

Is that the reason you come paddling over here only a couple of times per year? :oops: 8O I thought I just smelled bad after 3 days on the water! :?

I think its fair game to copy charts that you already own for your own personal use, but full size colour copies might be very costly (like more than a $20 chart?) What I do is copy 2 - 11 x 17 portions (double sided) on the self serve machine at Kinko's (@ $1 per side) then have them laminate it - cost varies with weight/type of plastic laminate, but it usually works out to about $2-3 per piece, so each 2-sided laminated piece ends up at $4-5. Before copying I tape on a home made (on my Mac) transparency of a graphic scale and compass rose, so each portion of the chart has that on it.

Astoriadave said:
Those HeatSeal pouches look slick. Where do you get them? Are they expensive?

Dave,

A package of 25 letter-size Heatseal pouches that I purchased from Staples sells for $17.00 Cdn + tax and is made by GBC which also happens to be the same company that made my laminator. Each packet includes a rigid carrier which you’ll need when passing the pouch through the laminator. I used a total of 6 pouches to create the Broken Group charts for a total cost of just over $4.00. However, one could actually cut that expenditure in half by utilizing both sides of the pouch as Mark suggested.

Mark_Schilling said:
Hey, it's not often I get a good idea, so I like to bask in the glory of it once in a while!

Milk it fer all it's worth Mark! ;) :)

Mike,

I purchased the 9” GBC Creative unit last year to preserve some old family documents but never thought of laminating nautical charts up until now. At the time, it happened to be the cheapest one on the shelf and I really didn’t feel like putting down a lot of coin for something that I might get occasional use out of. So much for that. Now that I‘ve nailed down laminating charts for the Broken Group, I’ll be focusing my efforts on other regions. Thanks to Mark, things could get out of hand. ;) :roll:

There are probably faster commercial versions out there, but for my small scale operation, the Creative laminator works fine and gets the job done. It accepts both 3 and 5 mil thick pouches.

ca619716_1_enl.jpg

Hey Mike - if you order online there are some coupons available.....up till June 20th you can save $20 if your total order is over $100 (before taxes).

Just enter coupon code 59892 at checkout :p

Regarding personal laminators, I was in London Drugs this afternoon and picked up a Fellowes EXL multi-purpose laminator for $49.99 plus tax.

This thing does up to 5 mil thick and 9 inches wide.

Best part is it comes with 130 laminating pouches
60 - 9x11.5 inch
30 - 4.5x6.25
30 - 2.25x3.75
10 - 2.5x4.25

I'll give it a test later and see how well it works.

GordB said:
Regarding personal laminators, I was in London Drugs this afternoon and picked up a Fellowes EXL multi-purpose laminator for $49.99 plus tax.

This thing does up to 5 mil thick and 9 inches wide.

So, some time has passed since the purchase date; how does this unit work.

I've been scanning portions of nautical charts, and using graphics software to add my personal data/info. With cropping as required, I then print off 8.5X11 pages. this works fine, but now I need to laminate. This thread has been very useful.

QUESTION: has anyone tried the COLD laminate pouches?

I know that you asked about the London Drugs one, but I've been very happy with the GBC Creative one......I was doing full size 8.5 x 11 prints.....two pages back to back. They stand up very well, and when you get home you can run them under hot water to get all the salt off :p

Back