• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Dual Van Isle Record Attempts on

VanIslePaddler

Paddler
The paddlers may be able to see each other!

As you may know, there are two Van Isle Record Attempts on right now:

Nicholas Cryder - started yesterday it looks: http://www.fasterfarther.com/vancouver-island-circumnavigation-2017/
Mike Gill - Started this morning: https://mikekgill.wixsite.com/vanisland2017

There would have been an interesting moment on the water today. These two location pings came in within 2 minutes of each other (9:02 and 9:04). They are almost literally on top of each other. They are only 4 nautical miles apart... probably cant see the other paddler due to the curvature of the earth but...

Looks like Nicholas is having to pull out because of boat damage and Mike Gilll's tracker is maybe down.

Yeah.

Mike Gill just posted again. He is on Spring Island (did the Brooks today). He says he pressed the wrong 'track' button today. Will press the right one tomorrow.

mick_allen said:
Looks like Nicholas is having to pull out because of boat damage
Is there any info on the type of boat damage?

EDIT:
Just got some help and figured out how to read the messages from Nicholas:
Brutal. I don't think my boat is sea worthy, and I have to make the heartbreaking decision to scuttle. So disappointed.

Not good, have a ten inch crack next to back hatch.

Can't even imagine the disappointment of having to pull out from boat damage. Rough!

Was looking forward to the race, it would have been fun to see them both out at the same time and compare their choices, etc.

In comparison, Freya Hoffmeister, currently on a stagewise circumnavigation of North America, has had her kayak repaired three times from hull failure ... over a period of a few months, since leaving the Port Angeles, WA area.

Astoriadave said:
In comparison, Freya Hoffmeister, currently on a stagewise circumnavigation of North America, has had her kayak repaired three times from hull failure ... over a period of a few months, since leaving the Port Angeles, WA area.
At first I was amazed by this--what is wrong with the boat manufacturer?? But from reading her posts, she routinely drags the boat, LOADED, across the rocks for fairly long distances, so . . . I'm amazed it's held up at all, really. She complains a lot about the rocks in the PNW--I guess she's more used to Australian sandy beaches?? Surely some have rocks though, and S. America as well? Anyway, I'm no longer mystified over why this happened to her--I can't imagine any boat could hold up long under that kind of abuse LOL! Must be nice to get a free boat basically whenever you want it, so you can treat them like that! :)

Well... There's only so much babying you can do when you're moving that much, that quickly. With a kayak packed to the gills and the kind of stuff they're doing, there's no way they're gonna be unloading the darn thing just so they can carry it up the beach.

It's definitely harsh on the kayak and damage is bound to happen - but it'll happen to some kayaks more than others. Being the proud owner of a Point 65 kayak, I can't say I'm surprised she's having that much trouble...

pawsplus said:
Anyway, I'm no longer mystified over why this happened to her--I can't imagine any boat could hold up long under that kind of abuse LOL! Must be nice to get a free boat basically whenever you want it, so you can treat them like that! :)

Freya used a Point65 boat for a lot (most?) of her S. American trip. They must have made a 'better than average' one for her for that trip, I guess. On this 'leg' of her trip she started in Seattle, and had to do some repairs in Victoria, so it's not just lots of dragging up the beach causing the problem.
Doesn't everybody drag their boats up the beach to unload them? :D

Mike Gill's not doing too bad: He's turned the corner and is going back up and day 7 is almost over. Tight, so we better cross fingers for him!

Yesterday's setback with the weather and currents in Victoria Harbor mean he's got some long hard days ahead! about 500kms to go, just under 6 days to beat the record. It's still possible and I bet it's gonna be close one way or another! Amazing stuff..

So it's day 9 and a half and he's got 375 kms to go to finish and just under 3 1/2 days to beat the record.
I say he's got a fighting chance. Go Mike go.

Yes! The last two days were incredible. Looking at the tracker, it looks like he paddled pretty much straight from 4pm yesterday, to almost 3pm today, with just a small break at Hornby. :yikes:

So day 10 is done and he's got 265 kms to go. And he says that he's just hitting the sack for a few hours. He's got 2 days 23 hours to go the 265.
And he's on track to doing it. maybe. possibly. might be. just on the edge. if he can keep it up. if he keeps pounding it down. if nothing goes wrong.

the line is right in front of him. Go Mike go!

https://mikekgill.wixsite.com/vanisland2017/tracker

Looks like Mike pulled out early this afternoon after not getting too far: Hit a weather wall that I guess would have slowed him down too much to have a chance of matching or breaking the time he wanted.
Too bad, he was doing well.
Some great paddlers have been out in this last while.

So unfortunate to be doing that well and be stopped by weather with two days to go. These record attempts (and the records that still stand!) seem like incredible feats for an average dude like me. The combination of outstanding physical abilities, mental fortitude, paddling skill/technique, planning and organization.. And knowing that after all that, you're still depending on Nature to cooperate and not throw a fit.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah. It was incredible watching the miles Mike Gill logged each day during this attempt. Having paddled the majority of Van Isle in sections, putting this all together with the weather holding steady for a full 12+ days is a challenge.

The record that Russell set is a very high benchmark. Everyone I've talked to who has made an attempt on the record; you can be the strongest paddler, and have the fastest boat, but if the weather gods choose otherwise....

My hat goes off to both Mike Gill and Nicholas Cryder. I love seeing the drive to push the record even shorter.

Back