• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

ever paddled on of those fishing kayaks?

Doug

Paddler
A couple of issues ago in Kayak & Canoe they had some articles and reviews on kayak fishing. It didn't strike me as being terribly interesting at the time. However I was just out fly fishing in my float tube this past weekend and was thinking about how much nicer it would be to do it in a kayak. On the other hand, I am in the process of building a canoe so maybe there's no reason to even contemplate about a fishing kayak.

cheers

I am looking at building a s&g sit on top kayak for fishing. My dad is an avid fisherman and wants me to build one for him. The best I have found so far is the Sea Island Sport from CLC. It looks like I could easily put in a couple of rod holders, and even make the back deck recessed so that it could hold a cooler or something similar. Anyone have any other ideas?

CLC states that their boat comes in at 48 lbs, if true, this seems on par with the weight of the plastic and fiberglass boats out there. The Sabalo looks nice too.

I owned an Ocean Kayak Prowler 15, "Angler edition". It was for my(now ex) girlfriend to use on trips we went together. In point form, it was :
*Similar speed to a sea kayak in flat water,but
*Slow way down in ocean swell when my elaho kept same pace as on flat water,even worse in chop.
*Extremely stable in all conditions
*Not particularly heavy, but an absolute monstrosity to handle on land
*Hulls somewhat succeptible to oil canning between the scupper holes, and wearing out at the holes if you were to drag one around like some morons do.
*Very comfy boat to paddle because unlike a lot of other sit on tops, in this one your feet are noticably lower than your butt,and the high seatback was comfy.
That about sums it up. I don't fish but if i was to get a sit on top for fishing it would be either the O.K Caper Angler, or a Frenzy and install the rod holders yourself,keep it simple and small and light, this way you may actually look forward to using them.

Advenure Kayak just put out an inaugeral magazine issue on Kayak fishing, as this is starting to have a big following. I spoke to Scott Macgreggor when he was in town and he gave me a tour of a boat they were giving away as a draw prize at the Outdoor show. The features on these boats are evolving very quickly as I guess people are sorting out what they want. In general:
- They are extremely stable platforms.
- They are very heavy, they get loaded up with features so they do not care about weight.
- Seem to come with standard deck clips to accomodat after market seats
- have mounting locations for fish finders
- have battery shelves below decks for gel cells
- have recesses for bait and beer coolers
- Lots of tie down areas
- they are tupperware

My perception at this point in time is that this is really a different animal then what we deal with and it is evolving fast.

I've scratched my head at a few reviews I've read. It's common to read comparison on storing beer. You wouldn't think taking a 12-pack of beer on a kayak is a good idea...

Doug said:
I've scratched my head at a few reviews I've read. It's common to read comparison on storing beer. You wouldn't think taking a 12-pack of beer on a kayak is a good idea...

I think the point is "it ain't kayaking"...

I have an OK Prowler 15 also - if you want to fish from a kayak it would be a good choice - very stable, reasonably fast and comfortable with plenty of room. I have no problem loading and carrying mine.

Another thing to point out - in a SOT you get wet from both paddling and if heavily loaded water enters through the scupper holes and you wind up sitting in it (those guys that fashion their kayaks like commercial fishing vessels would really know this) - thus even in some relatively warm waters / conditions it can be a cold experience. A farmer john is a must almost all of the time in our generally chilly Canadian waters.

On the other hand on hot days you can bail out anytime with no fuss for a quick swim or stretch your legs...

278_IMG_2105_2.jpg

G'day Doug,

I fish from all of my paddlecraft and have come to believe that the currently available sit on top fad is just that- a fad.

These SOTs seem to have evolved from a desire from recreational divers who wanted something cheap to paddle to their inshore dive location and something that could carry their gear hence the "tankwell" in back and bee relatively easy to re-mount in deep water.

With a very few notable exceptions, none of them are paddlers boats, and compared to true kayaks, are barges to paddle. Where some of them do shine is in surf launches. Apart from that, there is very little advantage IMHO in sit on top over a more traditional type hull. I would very respectfully suggest that there is NONE. More, it is that the market appears to have been manipulated by the big plastic players into thinking that SOT is the only way to go for fishing.

The South Africans have developed a range of "Fishing Skis" specifically to suit their style and locations of fishing for large pelagics and game fish through heavy surf. I believe they are leading the world at this time in fishing SOT design.

For those of us who have no need to launch through heavy surf to get to serious fish, Some of the hybrids may be a far better option.

Please consider a boat like the Sea 1 by Clipper Canoes here,

http://www.clippercanoes.com/boat_specs ... del_id=126

I have built a fairly close clone of this boat in S&G and it is by far, the best fishing kayak in my fleet. It also is a superb boat to paddle in rough or calm water. If the Sea 1 had been available in Australia, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. The big, open cock-pit allows for easy access to all the gear you might reasonably need (even a beer or two :oops: ) and also provides plenty of room to place your fish once caught. :D

If a more traditional sea kayak is more your thing, it is a fairly simple matter (and inexpensive) to mount a couple of removeable rod holders on the fore-deck and a couple of flush mounts behind the cock-pit.

Sorry for the rant guys but I believe that there are some very good options to the high, wide, fat and slow SOTS that the big manufacturers keep telling us are the ultimate "fishing kayak"

If paddling a few hundred metres and wetting your line is your thing, then the current SOTS are probably all you need. If your need is more likely, paddling a few, or many miles, carrying camping gear and staying a few days/weeks and then paddling back, a more traditional or true kayak will probably suit much better. :D

Back