• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Fairview Floats launch site Prince Rupert

Dan M

I'm wondering about the Fairview Floats launch site 650 m from BCF Terminal. Will be walking on Ferry and travelling solo so getting boat and gear to this site without assistance or a set of wheels easier said than done. Would rather not pack a set of wheels if possible and despite BCF having kayak trailer for their customers I doubt they will be open to trundling it down the road 1/2K to accomodate a launch? Any advice from those who have had experience at this location?

I shared your post with a friend who had done this trip, and this is his response:

I have taken the ferry to Prince Rupert with a kayak a number of times, always with wheels.

I am not familiar with Fairview Floats but they seem to be motor vessel docks S of the BCF terminal near the Coast Guard and a bit of a hike with up/down.

It may be possible to contract someone local (Skeena Kayaks?) to load and drive to a launchsite, but it could be expensive.

I suggest this paddler take wheels and be prepared to trundle themselves to a launch site.

• on our way to/from Haida Gwaii, BCF let us leave our loaded kayaks on wheels in a locked compound next to the terminal building as we were returning to take the ferry the next day
  • enroute to Alaska we paddled in from the S, past PR’s downtown to the Cow Bay area, landed and launched a couple of days later from the Prince Rupert Yacht and Rowing Club docks; apparently they now have a kayak dock in Cow Bay
  • I have heard that some (like Nadja Steiner) have launched from Port Edwards, S of Prince Rupert, but one would need transport to reach that unless paddling in from the S
Finally, I see this is posted on WestCoast Paddler Forum – there is a well-used Facebook page called Inside Passage Sea Kayakers moderated by Denis Dwyer who has done the trip solo a few times.

I suggest this person post on that site for response as well.

I would suggest that you contact Steve Milum at Skeena Kayaking. Contact info below. A friend is using his services in July to pick them and their gear up at the ferry terminal, take them to their overnight accommodations, store their boats for a couple of days, pick them up and take them to to the boat ramp at Port Edward or any other to launch within 20km of PR.

Steve Milum, Owner/Operator
Skeena Kayaking
250-624-1921
steve@skeenakayaking.ca

Also, years back I recall a thread here at WCP on construction of cheap or single use carts. Disposable, if you will. Some were four square against the disposable idea and felt that arranging the sale of the cart in PR was the way to go. Personally I came down on the side of cheap/disposable or donate it to a local outfitter for their inventory.

Reactions: CPS
Haven't been there, but taking a virtual look, there's possibilities on arrival for carting: as much of the terminal area is paved, bulky wheels are unnecessary and as elevation changes are minimal, no heavy pulling will be required. But for some of the possibilities you might have to be quick, stealthy and/or hard of hearing.
Looking at the map, here's what I see:
PrRupertMap.jpg

Firstly, 'Launch-check1' is a launch to die for - but you'll have to make a quick dogleg north down the side of the tracks for 200m to a perfect site. With any luck , might be able to pull if off - it looks great. View from the ferry:
PrRupertFerryLaunch1a.jpg

Secondly, 'Ldg-check1b' would be equivalent as the Klemtu launch is, but might be a little more obvious and take a little time, so that will maybe require onsite workers to turn a blind eye to what you're doing. If it's the same or related pple as the Klemtu situations, this might work fine as well. Looking at the map, there's a fair bit of fill on the S side of the ramp so there just might be some easier gradient than would be 'typical'. This view from the terminal shows where you could make a quick right before the tracks and slowly maneuver down to the water:
PrRupertFerryLdg-1b.jpg

The 'Fairview Container Terminals' are highly unlikely to be allowed or even usable for kayak launching. But thirdly and fourthly as Jane J. alludes to in post 2, there are 2 different docks north of that Terminal. The location check 3 might be too commercial and controlled, but the approach to 'check2' looks quite simple:
PrRupertFerryDock-check2.jpg

anyway, some ideas. [A small breakdown cart can be inordinately useful.]

We took BC Ferries from P. Hardy to Prince Rupert and paddled back last summer. The midnight rainy arrival in Rupert was a pita, but we took a taxi to accomodations. Only feasible launch within walking distance of the ferry terminal that we saw was at the Fairview floating docks. The ramp is next to the Coast Guard office and it's fairly user friendly. We had wheels for our tandem, but if you can carry your kayak empty you could make additional trips for supplies/equipment.

I shared your post with a friend who had done this trip, and this is his response:

I have taken the ferry to Prince Rupert with a kayak a number of times, always with wheels.

I am not familiar with Fairview Floats but they seem to be motor vessel docks S of the BCF terminal near the Coast Guard and a bit of a hike with up/down.

It may be possible to contract someone local (Skeena Kayaks?) to load and drive to a launchsite, but it could be expensive.

I suggest this paddler take wheels and be prepared to trundle themselves to a launch site.

• on our way to/from Haida Gwaii, BCF let us leave our loaded kayaks on wheels in a locked compound next to the terminal building as we were returning to take the ferry the next day
  • enroute to Alaska we paddled in from the S, past PR’s downtown to the Cow Bay area, landed and launched a couple of days later from the Prince Rupert Yacht and Rowing Club docks; apparently they now have a kayak dock in Cow Bay
  • I have heard that some (like Nadja Steiner) have launched from Port Edwards, S of Prince Rupert, but one would need transport to reach that unless paddling in from the S
Finally, I see this is posted on WestCoast Paddler Forum – there is a well-used Facebook page called Inside Passage Sea Kayakers moderated by Denis Dwyer who has done the trip solo a few times.

I suggest this person post on that site for response as well.
Very helpful info Jane et. al. Thanks so much and happy paddling!

Back