Field Repair Kit

kayakwriter

Administrator
I'm packing for a quick trip to the Gulf Islands next weekend and I snapped a picture of my field repair kit to share with the students in my online trip planning courses. So of course I'll share it with you all too.
kayak repair kit.jpg

Contents all in a transparent hard case (because tools and metal spare parts eventually wear through drybags)

Includes:

Drivers and bits for all screws on boat
Sockets to fit all nuts on boat
Replacement seat screws
Adjustable wrench
Swiss Army knife
Regular and UV-cure versions of Aquaseal
UV-cure quick patches for kayak hull cracks
UV flashlight for curing on rainy days/after dark
WaterWeld two-part putty for small hull repairs
Assorted patches for tent, clothes, etc
Silnet goop and repair patches for silicone tent flys, tarps, etc (Aquaseal won’t stick to these)
Replacement zipper slider
Tent pole repair sleeve
Duct tape in small rolls
Sewing kit
Toothbrush for clearing sand from hatch covers, etc
Knife sharpener
Leatherman tool
Vise Grips (for rudder cable crimpons)
Zip ties
Mini paint brushes to apply Aquaseal or Silnet
Spare tips for Greenland paddle
Hex key for locking/unlocking tips
Beeswax for lubing paddleshaft ferrules

Not shown: spare skeg wire if using skeg boat
Spare rudder cables and crimpons if using rudder boat

cougarmeat

Paddler
I’m guessing that beeswax would also work to lube drysuit zippers?
Is duct tape available in small rolls (REI camping supplies, etc.), or do you “roll your own” from a larger standard size roll?
What source do you use for the UV patches? I was given a “kit” - a UV flashlight and some sealer - with a quart water bottle as a container - it always seemed too large to bring on a trip. But I should put together some kind of repair scheme.

Most I’ve had to to do was tighten screws on the peddle mounts - before the trip. Because of what I paddle, I wouldn’t need half of what you carry. So I have no excuse. I’m trying to get down to 3 or 4 dry bags - one for clothes, one for food, one for cooking gear, one for camp gear (tent, hammock, etc.). I was thinking the repair kit could go in the camp gear bag but … thinking more, If the purpose is to handle some kind of puncture, then that would most likely happen while in the boat (unforeseen rock); not on shore. And the next step was to get to shore - which should be close - I’d probably want access to “repair” gear without emptying the boat to get to the camping gear.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Philip-
Thanks for that list.
For rudder cable repairs an alternative is some of the Spectra line that surfskis use. I have a couple of pieces in my repair kit with wire 'leaders' attached with CA (aka CrazyGlue). You can tie knots in line.
Why do you carry duct tape?
I have some of that red 'Tech tape' (for Tyvek) - it's really sticky.
For tape, I try to keep the original roll core with the big hole and put smaller items inside. It's hard to get a long piece of tape in a tiny roll, and that red tape doesn't take kindly to re-rolling anyway.
I thought that putting 'anything' on paddle ferrules was a no-no?

Reactions: CPS

kayakwriter

Administrator
I’m guessing that beeswax would also work to lube drysuit zippers?
Yup.

Is duct tape available in small rolls (REI camping supplies, etc.), or do you “roll your own” from a larger standard size roll?
I bought these mini rolls in a Gear Aid kit, but they were ridiculously expensive per foot. If you're going for the minimalist approach, you could roll/wrap your own from some like the Gorilla Weatherproof tape. If you put it around your paddle shaft it would effectively take up no room and you'd have it accessible for at-sea repairs.

What source do you use for the UV patches? I was given a “kit” - a UV flashlight and some sealer - with a quart water bottle as a container - it always seemed too large to bring on a trip. But I should put together some kind of repair scheme.
I'm using the 3 x 6 Rapid Fix patches. For years, I carried a large peanut butter jar with 35mm film canisters of 2 part expoxy and lengths of fibreglass cloth, but it was bulky and I wasn't sure about the shelf life of the resins once out of their original containers. The Rapid Fix patches are vacuum sealed in foil envelopes, so as far as I can tell, they have an indefinite shelf life. A couple of them would slip down the back of a 5 litre drybag without you noticing.

Because of what I paddle, I wouldn’t need half of what you carry.
Yeah, my kit is probably overkill. But over the years, I have used every component of it to fix my own gear or other paddler's gear.

kayakwriter

Administrator
I thought that putting 'anything' on paddle ferrules was a no-no?
That had always been my understanding too. But the little white disc of beeswax came with my Gearlab Greenland paddle. I put a very thin layer on the male ferrule and wipe it with a cloth - there doesn't seem to be enough residue to hold sand or grit.

a_c

Paddler
Very timely as I was just about to post a 'what's in your repair kit?' thread, so this will do nicely!

I tend to focus more on boat-related repairs and less on tent, zippers, etc., so this is a good reminder (one broken tent pole can ruin your whole trip, no?). I've also gone a bit overboard when packing my tool kit, though lately I've weaned myself away from the 'car camping' mentality and ditched the hatchet and brush saw (though I swear I'll need them one of these times and kick myself for not having them...:oops:).

I used to carry a small amount of fiberglass cloth/resin/catalyst, but have since decided that's overkill; anything that JB epoxy or Marine Weld can't patch is probably a trip ender anyway. I also have an affinity for a half roll of black electrical tape - the 'stretchiness' makes it handy for waterproofing/taping over a band aid on a hard-to-close cut finger, frayed cable or what have you.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
In a group of competent paddlers, it can be an advantage if each repair kit is a bit different. The 'group resources' will be more likely to have a solution to a problem than any individual kit can cover.

Gasket repair (with pieces of latex gasket and glue, or spare gaskets and a way to install them) is another area that can need attention sometimes.