• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Finished

Blackhawk

Paddler
Joined
May 27, 2020
Messages
52
Location
New York
19380c2d-ee15-4953-aca0-b54677b12aa3-jpeg.8778
Well, as finished as you can ever be.
 

Attachments

  • 19380C2D-EE15-4953-ACA0-B54677B12AA3.jpeg
    19380C2D-EE15-4953-ACA0-B54677B12AA3.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 532
  • A1910E1F-D964-4CBF-80AF-B44569E373F4.jpeg
    A1910E1F-D964-4CBF-80AF-B44569E373F4.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 1891B043-80C4-48D6-AB8B-11F5502EE0A5.jpeg
    1891B043-80C4-48D6-AB8B-11F5502EE0A5.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 273
  • A70B3944-17DD-4A15-9E4A-21F1137AE1CB.jpeg
    A70B3944-17DD-4A15-9E4A-21F1137AE1CB.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 289
  • A00A0BFE-2A6F-4B63-947B-2D3C0ECCBA74.jpeg
    A00A0BFE-2A6F-4B63-947B-2D3C0ECCBA74.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 265
  • FF9B714E-E149-40A9-BE6C-9F2F2FF4A030.jpeg
    FF9B714E-E149-40A9-BE6C-9F2F2FF4A030.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 311
  • F27C3801-2926-4FA0-8755-7192B682433E.jpeg
    F27C3801-2926-4FA0-8755-7192B682433E.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 272
Some things I did different from the plans.
1. I did stich/glue on the hull, but then went to taping the deck to the hull as I got more comfortable.
2. I rounded the coaming.
3. I added deck lines for safety.
4. Notched the hatch toggles.
5. Added the compass.
6. I went with the suggestion here to use a single line on the hand toggle.
7. As previously mentioned, I went with a block of walnut wood for the hand toggles.
8. As previously mentioned, I used rice paper under the fiberglass for the graphics. I tried adding a graphic to the stern prior to varnishing but should have read more on how to do it. I ended up cutting into the graphic as I was sanding and then had to remove it. I should have put a plastic sheet over the resin which would have meant less sanding. Oh well. I may add later.
9. The pinstripe is 1/4" electrical tape. The black tape around the coaming is 1/2" electrical tape.

I already learned that I was afraid of tightening the hatches too much. It was too little.

Thanks for the suggestions here on this website.
 
3. I added deck lines for safety.
That's a very good idea. IMO, not optional!
Check this video . At 3:20 onward, it shows how difficult it is to raft up two kayaks, neither of which have deck lines.

Staying in contact with a swimmer would be even more difficult.

I added decklines to a friend's older Pisces a few weeks ago - it is noteworthy to encounter older boats without lines, now that most have them.
 
Very, very nicely done! You certainly can be proud of how this boat turned out. Every stroke you take, you can think "I built this!" And think of the other boaters and people ashore watching you. You're adding to their enjoyment of gazing out on the water.
 
Back
Top