• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Finishing up...

Blackhawk

Paddler
So the good idea fairy struck before varnishing. It would be much easier to resin the half-rounds on the hatches after I varnish. Just sandpaper the half-round bottoms, roughen up that area of the hatch and resin.
Now I'm thinking that wasn't such a good idea. Will the resin stick to varnish? Should I maybe use small stainless screws through the bottom of the hatch as well or instead?
Shoulda stuck with the directions.

These half-rounds are the 'blocks' that the webbing presses down on, to pull down the hatch cover?

There's not much stress on those, I think. If it were my project and the hatch covers were already varnished, I'd just put finish/varnish on those half-rounds (top and underside both) and then use a couple of #6 pan head stainless screws on each one from the underside to fasten them to the lid. A dab of Lexel or other sealant to seal the holes and prevent water stains under the finish, and I'd be content.

These half-rounds are the 'blocks' that the webbing presses down on, to pull down the hatch cover?

There's not much stress on those, I think. If it were my project and the hatch covers were already varnished, I'd just put finish/varnish on those half-rounds (top and underside both) and then use a couple of #6 pan head stainless screws on each one from the underside to fasten them to the lid. A dab of Lexel or other sealant to seal the holes and prevent water stains under the finish, and I'd be content.
Those are them. I will try that. Getting there.

Attachments

• BC79C4E9-1360-485D-BA42-46B027256F64.jpeg
    BC79C4E9-1360-485D-BA42-46B027256F64.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 257
Back