• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Gary Doran - May 23 2019

Condolences to all those who knew him.
Here's a relevant excerpt from his obituary:

In 1996 Gary landed in Victoria where he became an exceptionally skilled professional sea kayak instructor and guide trainer, a career he's enjoyed for more than 20 years. Held in high regard by colleagues and students across the country, Gary was honoured in 2019 by the Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of BC with a Lifetime Membership Award for his outstanding service and commitment to the professional sea kayaking industry. He also had the distinction of receiving the inaugural Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Lifetime Contribution Award, which recognized his long-standing efforts to enrich and strengthen sea kayaking. Gary's committed approach to sea kayaking also helped shape the Pacific Paddling Symposium, now in its 7th year, into one of Canada's showcase sea kayaking events, drawing students and instructors from around the world.

He sounds like a great guy to have known.

How sad. I only met him once, but his reputation as a kind and decent man was well attested by several people I admire.

A very sad passing. Canadian paddling has lost a treasure.

I only met Gary when he was already very sick, at last year's PPS. Despite the toll the event was taking on him, he still gave as much as he could, supported by partner Janette and a team of close friends.

He was a very humble man, but with real spirit and I could see that he was obviously a great coach, one who would have impact on people's lives well beyond kayaking.

He threw me the challenge of entertaining all the coaches, no small task given their quality and experience, and once the task was set he left me to it. Someone who trusted his gut.

Those who met him were better people for it.

I took my Assistant Overnight Guide and Instructor Course from Gary while working up North in an isolated First Nations Community. We brought him up and myself and one other instructor spent 2 weeks with him. The course itself had a number of challenges including dodging bullets from some of the locals, which Gary expressed was his first experience during a course! He was an enthusiastic and passionate instructor and these lessons have given me the opportunity to be more confident on the water kayaking and organize adventures for my son and me. To Gary!

Back