good vehicle trailer?

Doug

Paddler
Hi,
Slightly off-topic but still related to paddling... Any recommendations for a trailer to be used with a minivan? It would be used for camping gear (bikes, bins, gear, etc). Space in the van is limited because of the extra gear packed for paddling - there's the obligatory paddling connection ;) I'm hoping for something under $500 but that might not be realistic.
thanks

Tootsall

Paddler
Doug, Home Depot and Crappy Tire sell trailers or trailer frames (which you customize yourself) much like the ones Stumpy pointed out. The price is a bit higher (as befits Canada!) but the products are similar. Just make sure you look for one with "high speed bearings" or that's rated for highway use and then don't load it over your vehicle's weight ratings. Your other option is to keep browsing the local "buy and sell" and hope someone is getting rid of one "for cheap". (Also look for old, half-dead tent trailers that could be cut down to work). You might have to sling some new bearings and rubber on it but that'd be a good way to go.

DesertDave

Paddler
Harbor Freight

I actually bought a Harbor Freight 8'x4' folding trailer, 1500 lb capacity, for the express purpose of taking kayaks with me behind my truck camper.

Including the initial purchase price of less than $300 (USA), the wood for floor and sides, the hardware required to attach floor and sides, the spare tire, the tongue jack, the California title and license, I have about $503 invested in it.

I removed one of the three leaves from the springs after the first trip, even with 200 lbs of firewood and two kayaks it still bounced all over the place.

It does fold, but with all the extra weight of the stuff mentioned above it gets precarious raising and lowering the tongue by myself.

Here is a link to pictures of multiple iterations one fellow (not me) went through with his similar trailer. It will either give you ideas or change your mind on the idea http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/75339788oTcAIx

gpsailer

Paddler
if your van has a receiver hitch, you could use a cargo basket that slides into your hitch. they make them strong enough to carry motorbikes and other heavy things.

i have seen them loaded with extra fuel cans,camping gear,mountain bikes,dirt bikes,even a small kid size quad.

the up side to this option is no extra insurance,easy to back up or park if you are not uesd to towing trailers, also when not in use just stick it in a corner and foreget about it.

i guess it all depends on how much extra gear you want to carry.

good luck.

mark.

greg0rn

Paddler
This is what I saw last winter, while paddling Canyon and Apache lakes with Garry:

It is amazingly light and can be positioned in vertical position, therefore minimazing foot print while in storage.

We travelled together on the highway and gravel road to the lakes and from and there is no doubt that that trailer can take the speed and bumps.

After zooming in, I found this link on its frame:

http://www.sportsrig.com/