• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

GPS question

steele said:
Does anyone have experience with the new Garmin Colorado 400CGPS?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11024

It is pricey, but includes pre-loaded coastal maps which can be expensinve on their own. It might be overkill for kayaking, but I need one for other marine use as well.
Thanks.
Hi steele - we have the Colorado 300 and are very happy with it so far. The difference between the 300 and 400 series are that the 400 series come with your choice of maps pre-loaded. There are inland lakes and rivers, marine and topo I believe. They are all US maps so since we're in Canada we bought the 300 and we're loading it with all the maps we already have from our previous Garmin GPS (Map60CSx). If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them... :)

Thanks, I had a chance to look at it in a local store and it seems solid and well thought out. I was wondering if the screen size is large enought to really use the detailed maps,
Tom

Aside from the higher resolution screen on the Colorado series, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the $100 plus dollar difference is between it and the 60Csx model I have..?

Monster said:
Aside from the higher resolution screen on the Colorado series, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the $100 plus dollar difference is between it and the 60Csx model I have..?
Hi Monster :)
I'll run down a few differences and things that we've started using that seem like great value for the $100. Some of them will only be of value if they are going to support the way you like to use your gps mind you.

1. It is bluetooth so you can 'beam' waypoints, routes, track logs or geocaches to and from other Colorado users.
2. You have multiple profiles that you can customize for each activity. You can switch between profiles effortlessly so you can have 'marine' running while you boat from Oregon to here, you can have 'automotive' running while you drive in the rental car to the trail head, you can switch to 'recreation' while you hike for 3 hours and you can switch to 'geocaching' when you want to find a geocache near the summit. All these profiles have different maps, compass settings, etc that you have chosen.
3. It supports gpx files for complete geocache descriptions and hints.
4. It has a rock n' roller input wheel which is really slick and can be used easily with gloves on.
5. It's very weatherproof - we hiked for hours in mixed weather with it hanging from my backpack.
6. It has a 'shortcut' menu that you customize for your preferred shortcuts and it has a...
7. carabiner :)
There's more, but that's my first run off the top of my head.
We have ETrex LegendC's, a Map60CSx and now the Colorado. Garmin should be paying us for all this product testing :wink:

How do the Colorado units do when it comes to presenting the chart data on those small screens? I'm considering a GPS for the Mutha-Ship and would like something that could go out paddling too.

The very inexpensive GPS72 by Garmin has built-in tide tables which I find very useful. Even if current doesn't correspond, just the tidal range can give you a good idea of relative current strengths which can help you decide how to proceed on a paddle. Does the Colorado have tide tables or even the capability of adding them?

Craig Jungers
Moses Lake, WA
(High Tide in Spring; Low Tide in Winter)

Helen,

I understand the Colorado does not float, have you noticed this as an issue? Also I was interested in your thoughts on the Q above, inre: tidal charts. any input there?

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

We have an old Garmin 76 on the MuthaShip but we have our Colorado at hand too. The Garmin 76 floats...
The tidal information on the basemap of the Colorado 300 is very good for the US but almost non existent for Canada. It displays the times and the height of the highs and lows at each location. The symbol is a T in a diamond and it displays at 3km or lower.

Back