• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Haida Gwaii circumnavigation June and July 2010

Vicarious paddling-the perfect activity for the gibbled. Thanks for making this so accessable you guys...

After being 'Pinned' down just west of Old Masset...it looks as though Jonathon put in a big day yesterday and made it to Langara Island.
:big_thumb

Day 1: 39km (21.0 NMi)
Day 2: 42km (22.7 NMi)
Day 3: 25km (13.5 NMi)
Day 4: 0km
Day 5: 52km (28 NMi)
Day 6: 0km
Day 7: 0km
Day 8: 0km
Day 9: 0km
Day 10: 59km (31.8 NMi) *Note that the Spot times are Day 9 morning to Day 10 afternoon, so this may have been 2 days of paddling.

Attachments

• RegglerMap2010.jpg
    RegglerMap2010.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,927
Note that the Spot times are Day 9 morning to Day 10 afternoon, so this may have been 2 days of paddling
Very unlikely, in my opinion. Jon triggers Spot in the morning if he is staying put; in the afternoon/evening if he has moved. If he sent a spot message in the morning but then decided to move later that day, he would send a spot message from his new campsite. After 4 nights in one camp, he would have felt compelled to cover as many miles as feasible.

nootka said:
Note that the Spot times are Day 9 morning to Day 10 afternoon, so this may have been 2 days of paddling
Very unlikely, in my opinion. Jon triggers Spot in the morning if he is staying put; in the afternoon/evening if he has moved. If he sent a spot message in the morning but then decided to move later that day, he would send a spot message from his new campsite. After 4 nights in one camp, he would have felt compelled to cover as many miles as feasible.
Further to nootka's comments...Jonathon could reel off 32+nm quite easily in a day...the guy can be a 'Paddling Machine'.

Some more good progress made today...

Approximate distances paddled:
Day 10: 59km (31.8 NMi)
Day 11: 48km (26 NMi)

Attachments

• RegglerMap2010.jpg
    RegglerMap2010.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 2,130
It appears that Jonathon will have favorable (wind) conditions for the next couple/few days any ways...I won't be surprised if he 'Rips' off a few more big paddle days in succession.
:cool

Day 10: 59km (31.8 NMi)
Day 11: 48km (26 NMi)
Day 12: 24km (13NMi)
Day 13: 49km (26NMi)

Attachments

• RegglerMap2010.jpg
    RegglerMap2010.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 2,034
Looks like a few more days of paddling and he will be back in QC Village. Certainly has found some tasty cove beaches for landing. I was able to locate this site in Neil Frazer's guide (page 119) -- just N of Lauder Island, on the west side of Seal Inlet. Frazer reports this little anchorage is one fishboats sometimes use.

My use of Google Earth does not go as fine as nwflight's images. Grump. :mrgreen:

Astoria,
Is that Boat Camping Haida Gwaii, Revised Second Edition: A Small Vessel Guide by Neil Frazer (Paperback - Mar 15 2010) - Unabridgedt ? I am seeking info as the title suggests to trace this path.
Thought the photos along with the map made for good day dreaming, hope that is ok .

nwflight said:
Is that Boat Camping Haida Gwaii, Revised Second Edition: A Small Vessel Guide by Neil Frazer (Paperback - Mar 15 2010) - Unabridged ?Thought the photos along with the map made for good day dreaming, hope that is ok .
I've got the first edition, so the page reference may be off, but I understand it is basically the same work.

As to the photos: Keep 'em coming! I love seeing these remote places. The photos are a great armchair way to enjoy it.

Nootka backchanneled me with some suggestions on how to improve what I can bring up -- your images are excellent.

Cool! Bet he is in QC Village tomorrow!

Frazer has that site as Tana Bay, about 1 nm north of Skidegate Channel. On page 123 of the 1st Edition of Frazer's guide. Offshore and north 6-7 nm or so is Marble Island, site of a radar installation during WW II, visitable during calm seas, via one of its pocket beaches.

Aw man, these satellite photos of Jonathan's campsites are killing me!!!

I hope he has been taking lots of eye-candy, jealousy-inducing, awe-inspiring photos... :shock:

Thanks for posting the images, nwflight! :big_thumb

And thanks to Mark for deciphering his progress track! :clap: