• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Hot Deal on Inflatable PFDs

MartinZ

Paddler
I just got this from our friend Ric in Tennessee (who is having computer problems...)

West Marine Manual Inflatable type V and Type III (nearshore) PFDs are on sale at the Coleman Outlet store in Foley, AL, for $39.95. Ric got his at the store and is very happy with it. Mine will arrive in a couple of days and I'll try and remember to post a report here.

In the meantime here's the contact info:

251-970-3500. Talk with Byron if you can as he knows what item this is (they don't have a stock code for it).

Just remember if you are knocked out before you can pull the cord, it won't inflate.

You wouldn't have a model number or a link to the actual PFD you are talking about? I'd like to purchase a couple but want to see what I am getting before I order it for size n specs.

Suzy said:
Just remember if you are knocked out before you can pull the cord, it won't inflate.

Each of us must weigh the pros and cons of the safety equipment we use. A auto-inflating PFD will will fill as soon as you capsize your kayak. If you enjoy rolling your kayak, this is not desirable.

If I'm wearing an inflatable PFD, I'm also wearing my Tuilik made from neoprene. My guess is the Tuilik provides as much if not more floatation than my regular PFD by Stohlquist.

I have been told by wet suit manufacturers that an average 3mm neoprene wet suit (farmer john, no sleeves) will provide around 5 lbs of buoyancy. Most PFDs provide 15.5 lbs or more as that is the Canadian coast guard standard.

Ryan

camper10469 said:
You wouldn't have a model number or a link to the actual PFD you are talking about? I'd like to purchase a couple but want to see what I am getting before I order it for size n specs.

hi rick here, I bought the model 1193 ("offshore" w/harness built in and extra flotation) and standard model 1189 is available. These are recommended for swimmers only and not recommended for whitewater paddling.

Is that the same one on sale for $40 at the Coleman Outlet? I checked West Marine and they don't list either one you mentioned and Coleman has no West Marine products on their site.

well, that is where I bought mine. similar to west marine model 7814130 BUT, no HIT no LIFT, no SOLAS, no etc which only add $200. I am unable to insure your complete shopping satisfaction, only cost savings IF you can effective communicate your needs to the store.

rick

Thanks I'll call the store n talk to Byron. It sounds like just what I need, no frills. I am a good swimmer n only need it for when I'm kayking the lake that is heavily patrolled by rangers. Instead of not wearing a PFD while fishing the shore and risking a ticket, at least I'll have the non-intrusive PFD on.

BTW can you post a pic of it?

Back