• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

How do you COVID paddle?

Rodnak Kayak

Paddler
So, our local club has shut down group paddles for a week or so...and I have not been out with any groups as much as I would like. I do still get out on the water a bit, solo. Just wondering...what other paddlers are up to. Do you have a paddle cohort? Only solo? Where do you go, any different places because of the pandemic? Just wondering. This winter just day paddles for me, but COVID or not, I wanna get out for a trip in the Spring early Summer, as I will be WAY FREAKIN OVERDUE!! So, what about youse?

Paddling seems pretty safe, as it is hard to get too close to others.

That said, here is what I have/haven't been doing and limits:
  • I wouldn't paddle in a double with someone outside of my bubble, though that likely isn't that dangerous.
  • I haven't been teaching, as it would be hard to social distance when teaching rescues. I have been guiding and would do a rescue in a real situation if it came up.
  • on group paddles with friends, we wear masks on land. We also limit size to about max of 6.
  • Only camping I have done was at a campsite with the club. We spaced and wore masks, and didn't have any group meals/shared food that we normally would.
  • Have done a fair amount of solo paddling, but was doing this also pre-covid.
  • seems that on an expedition type trip, the major change you would need to do is individual meals.

Reactions: CPS
I paddle solo and COVID social distancing has been easy for me because I have no friends! :D:cool:

This applies to me as well. Although I was thinking of joining a group when I moved down here, COVID stopped that (or at least gave me plausible deniability when I put it off).
Maybe when the world is back to normal I'll paddle with someone. It's happened before, once or twice.

Back