How do you handle the nature's call?

sushiy

Paddler
I watched the news of the Space Shuttle astronut's attack to the other Nasa staff. And heard she wore the adult diper so that she did not have to stop at the bathroom on the way driving to the victim 900miles away.
It made me think, if you are on the water paddling in the skiny kayak in the drysuit and the nature calls, how do you do it? I read there is a divice for it, but I don't know it is possible to unzip the drysuit and use it in the kayak :? :?

I don't know if you want to talk about it...

jurgenk

Paddler
Do not know the device you are referring to, but this is another situation wherein it is easier to be a man. We could more easily take off a spray skirt and relieve ourselves into a bottle (I have done it into a beer can in the back of a moving vehicle although a kayak might make balancing more challenging) while this would be undoubtedly be more difficult for the fairer sex. The gold standard while wearing a neoprene farmer john (not reccomended in a drysuit where moisture is not desired) on a long crossing is to simply relax the urethral sphincter, allowing the feeling of warmth to wash over you.

Your best bet Sushiy (in all seriousness), is to paddle in a group and if you did encounter the need to go while some distance from shore you could then raft up with other boats to add stability to the situation. When you buy a drysuit it is possible to buy one with a "relief zipper" but I do not know if they make them for women as well (I believe the men's models have a zipper where a pant's zipper would be wherein a relief zipper for women should "half moon" through the crotch of the garment). You mentioned in another thread about buying a drysuit and while this is the best protection you can get it comes at some price. This links to daveman's recent thread about coolweather paddling gear and includes some other ideas about paddling wear. The dry suit though, is definitely going to offer you the most protection.

Brad

kayakwriter

Administrator
Years back I met a novice female kayaker who asked me that question. Having a warped sense of humour, I replied, in an exagerated baritone, "Well, of course, for us guys, there's no problem - I just pop my sprayskirt and dangle "it" over the side into the water."
This lady either had no experience of men, or only experience of truly extraordinary men, or the world's greatest poker face, 'cause she didn't bat an eye, just asked me impatiently "I know, but what are we women supposed to do?....." 8O

Rootman

Paddler
blondie said:
I drink strategically :wink: Limited drinking before crossings, etc.
Not everybody realizes how much even mild dehydation can impair judgment, cause confusion, and lead to dangerous situations.

kayakwriter

Administrator
Rootman said:
blondie said:
I drink strategically :wink: Limited drinking before crossings, etc.
Not everybody realizes how much even mild dehydation can impair judgment, cause confusion, and lead to dangerous situations.
It's a balancing act: it's also hard to make good decisions, excersize finer paddling skills, or even see straight if you're so full your bad teeth are using your tongue as a diving board....

Bob_c

Paddler
I read there is a divice for it, but I don't know it is possible to unzip the drysuit and use it in the kayak :? :?

I don't know if you want to talk about it...[/quote]

Its called a freshette, or something close. Kayak or outdoor stores carry it. 8O

Astoriadave

Paddler
The Freshette would be a chancy operation, at best, from a dry suit enclosure, I'm told, by She Who Makes All The Big Decisions At My House.

Details? That would be "too much information," I'm told. :wink: :lol:

As for the guys, managing the dry suit relief zipper and making a clean delivery overboard is not easy, and a failure ensures a dry suit no one would ever want to borrow.

Others claim, for males, a condom catheter is the way to go, so to speak.

IanC

Paddler
A few years ago, I was paddling alongside another guy and we got to talking (joking, I thought) about the possibility of using a piece of bull kelp. We discussed the technique: cut off about 10' or so, carve an opening in the bulb and "go" into it, with lots of slack on the bottom of the kayak ( BELOW the top of the bulb) and with the skinny end over the side. After you go, lift it, bulb first, and the whole thing drains out. So about twenty minutes later, he paddled up beside me again, and he had actually done the deed!

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
Well I don't own a drysuit (yet!) so I can't comment on the procedure where drysuits are concerned. But with a wetsuit, some edging skills and a bit of one-handed sculling (just in case!), I've had good success with the 'dangling overboard' technique. And before we get any further into this, let me limit my embarrasment by reminding you that my boat is only 21.5" wide.

That said, I, too, prefer beaches where-ever possible... but on a long crossing, or where terrain does not permit landings, it's worked just fine for me! Of course, I come from a cycling background and we didn't always stop either - so perhaps it's just a case of getting used to doing it 'on the fly'. :wink:

DarrenM

Paddler
IanC said:
A few years ago, I was paddling alongside another guy and we got to talking (joking, I thought) about the possibility of using a piece of bull kelp. We discussed the technique: cut off about 10' or so, carve an opening in the bulb and "go" into it, with lots of slack on the bottom of the kayak ( BELOW the top of the bulb) and with the skinny end over the side. After you go, lift it, bulb first, and the whole thing drains out. So about twenty minutes later, he paddled up beside me again, and he had actually done the deed!
Absolutely brilliant idea!

Beverage can doesn't work, trust me..... :oops:

sushiy

Paddler
The beer bottle trick... make sure u label it so 8O . They reslly look alike...
My husband used it, and left it in the garage 8O . Of course I did not know it, and the cap was back on ( to keep it contained I guess). I was wndering why he left the beer on the floor in the garage. And as I brought it to kitchen, I said to him " hey, I'll put your beer in the refridge" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kelp one, I can totally imagine you "guys" trying it at our spring camp.

Mark_S, next time when I see you doing nice long edging with one hand sculling, I will quietly paddle away from you...I will give you some privacy :lol: :lol:

So nobody tryed the adult diper yet? I guess the pilot supply thing must be close to the diper, yea?

THe funel or freshette, I am not sure if it still works while I am sitting in the kayak...
Hey kayakwriter, dose your boss take the return if I did not like it? after some use??

Thank you all for the info. Very educational.

jurgenk

Paddler
sushiy said:
So nobody tryed the adult diper yet? I guess the pilot supply thing must be close to the diper, yea?
I haven't tried it paddling but they are very comfortable and barely show through clothing... Am working a night shift right now and just changed a few and all I will say is that I rush to change baby diapers now.

Brad