• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

How do you store your yak?

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
I got tired of trying to move around mine while it's sitting on the floor so I spent a few dollars at the hardware store and I have a new system. I attached 6 hooks to the floor joists in our basement.

When I bring the boat in I can lift up one end and hook the carry handle on one hook, then lift the other end and hook that one up as well. Then I take a set of tie down straps and my foamies and secure one on either side of the cockpit right underneath the bulkheads. Once it's in place I unhook the carry handles at bow and stern so they're not taking any weight. It seems to work pretty well and frees up a lot of floor space.

I'll post a pic when I have one....

A few pics of the new system...

dave-rack-1.jpg

dave-rack-2.jpg

dave-rack-3.jpg

Looks good Dave!

I don't have the luxury of being able to store my boats indoors. Here's how I store mine (most of the time they're covered with tarps):

kayak-rack.jpg

Astoriadave said:
Good lookin' Pygmy double. You built it?

Yup, that's the Pygmy Osprey double that Dan built a little over 3 years ago. It's one fine looking boat - quite something to see up-close. Dan documented the entire process, which is now available for all to see here, in the 'Boat/Accessory Buidling' section of this site.

Astoriadave said:
Good lookin' Pygmy double. You built it?
Thanks Dave, I did build it myself -- it's a great boat that I enjoy paddling a lot with my kids. I'm hoping to build a Pygmy Coho soon.

I also built the racks that the boats are stored on.

I used to keep mine in my westy...now it's in my wee ahh v. I have a folding type and that was one of the deal makers when I was shopping. I live in apts or condo's usually and am a terrible gypsy that is always on the road, it seems. I decided that I wanted something I could carry in whatever I was driving, put on a plane, and unless I happen to not put it away...no one knows I have it.

Gary Haupt

Back