Howe Sound sites — wow!!

AM

Paddler
I decided to check out a couple of the new BCMTA sites in northern Howe Sound today — Islet View and Thornborough Channel. Wow — these are great sites with fabulous infrastructure! Composting toilets, bear bins, picnic tables...the works. Plus, the landings are marginal enough that only paddlers are likely to visit.

A big thanks to Mick and all the others (Nick, Steve, et al) who have worked on these sites. I have promised my daughter a kayak trip this spring and I have found the destination.

A couple of photos: the first from Islet View, the second from the bluff at Thornborough.

Cheers,
Andrew

BEF9B27E-0B70-4E7E-BCA8-3812650DC5AD.jpeg
D7EA072C-6C8D-43D8-AA8E-1DE850E8FDA7.jpeg

AlphaEcho

Paddler
My old stomping grounds. Thanks for the photos. Miss those sites. Also +100 to Nick H, Steve B, and all the volunteers who participated in getting these sites set up.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
SKABC took over stewardship of these sites and Steve Best and Nick Heath spearheaded multiple initiatives with grants and monies from BC Marine Trails, SKABC, Trans Canada Trails and Rec Sites & Trails [government]. It was thought that if careful, covid provide a big work window to get a whole pile of stuff done. They put in tent pads, toilets, vaults, trails, etc, etc. And if any have been paying attention, initial work is being done on trails up and thru a planned [to a significant extent by us] future campground at Apodaca Park.

My [shared and enabled obviously] dream has been simple opportunites and connections from the backyard of the lower mainland to the whole extent of the BC coast. With these, plus the few original established Howe Snd sites, and others coming in the future, this essentially is all now there. Amazing work by everyone!

jefffski

Paddler
Islet view is a wonderful site. Launching from Porteau cove and then heading south to cross to Anvil, paddling along its south side before crossing to Islet View makes for a pleasant trip. On the return, paddle along Anvil's north side and then head south to shorten the crossing before heading north again to Porteau, completes the trip in a nice manner. Beware of afternoon winds in Howe Sound!

Reactions: CPS

kayakwriter

Administrator
P8010102.JPG

We did a trip to the Islet View site this past August. Beautiful. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: CPS