• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Ice, Bears, and Islands - An evening with Jaime Sharp

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Deep Cove Kayak is hosting Jaime Sharp – adventure kayaker – talking about his incredible attempt to paddle around the Svalbard Archipelago.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM at the Cap U Centre For Performing Arts

Along with two fellow paddlers, Tara Mulvaney and Per Gustav Porsanger, in the summer of 2015 they undertook a journey that had never been completed before. Despite numerous attempts, no-one else had ever completed the paddle, and recent attempts by other paddlers had been thwarted by injury and polar bear attacks.

ice-bears-islands.jpg

"In the heart of the Arctic Ocean, at 76-81 degrees North, the Svalbard Archipelago remains one of the worlds last great 'firsts'. Despite numerous attempts, no one has ever paddled around all four main islands. Now, after 6 years of dreaming and planning to complete this epic trip, we are setting off to do just that. This will be our adventure amongst ice bears and Islands."

This kayaking event is one that you won't want to miss!

Register for tickets here, $15 regular price, $10 students in advance, $20 cash on the door.

For more information about the journey, be sure to check out Jaime’s website.

polar-bears.jpg

sea-lions.jpg

Ticket website: https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=57605
Deep Cove Kayak page: http://www.deepcovekayak.com/races/ice-bears-islands-paddle-svalbard/
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/833056416814298/
Jaime's website about the trip: http://svalbard.worldwildadventure.com/

I'm looking forward to this talk. If for no other reason than to learn more about the amazing polar bear and its fate.....

Very large polar bears may stand 12' on their hind legs and weigh 2000 lbs.

"Bears move with supple agility, seeming to flow over steep, complex obstacles like sea-ice pressure ridges. They have tremendous strength and dexterity. The same bear that pries a tiny thalia from a kelp strand with a single claw can knock a belukha whale senseless with a blow from its foreleg. Deft and quick enough to snatch a lemming from the grass, it can also flip a 400 lb bearded seal into the air."
Barry Lopez, Arctic Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgnf6t9VEc

Bob

Dave- if you (like me) can't make it across the border to catch the show, I highly recommend reading Peter Webb's book on his circ there in a very tiny sailing dingy. It's called Ice Bears And Kotick. Although not in sea kayaks, it's an excellent adventure story with lots of lessons to be learned.

r32

lilydipper said:
I'm looking forward to this talk. If for no other reason than to learn more about the amazing polar bear and its fate.....

Very large polar bears may stand 12' on their hind legs and weigh 2000 lbs.

"Bears move with supple agility, seeming to flow over steep, complex obstacles like sea-ice pressure ridges. They have tremendous strength and dexterity. The same bear that pries a tiny thalia from a kelp strand with a single claw can knock a belukha whale senseless with a blow from its foreleg. Deft and quick enough to snatch a lemming from the grass, it can also flip a 400 lb bearded seal into the air."
Barry Lopez, Arctic Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgnf6t9VEc

Bob

Crazy (scary) thing is that they're damn near silent also. I've heard first hand reports from Svalbard of getting out of the tent in the morning to find both footprints all around and big bear turds right in front of the vestibule. Two people sleeping inside didn't hear a thing...

Good thing is that they're (mostly) easily startled and will run away if you blow a whistle.

Wish we could be there for the show!

I'm not sure what's going on with those two polar bears in the photo above but I'm sure if that were posted on facebook that it would be deleted. :yikes:

I was unable to make it to the presentation -- did anyone here go? Any reports???

I didn't catch the presentation when it was down here in San Francisco, but there is an article in Canoe & Kayak Magazine. So these comments are related to that:

The pic with the two bears - turns out it was a mother and cub. Even though the cub appears to be as large as mom, he is still nursing. They had chased them in the water before giving up and stopping to nurse, which gave them time to take pics before getting out of there (they figured once they stopped nursing, they would be back to chasing).

Someone said the bears were easily scared - that doesn't seem to be the case based on the article. They had to sleep in shifts so that someone was always on watch.

from personal experience on the Labrador coast, I will just offer a "I GUARANTEEEEEEEE" that polar bears do not scare or startle easily.

In Jaime's presentation where they landed on a small un-marked island just before a 150 km stretch of ice cliff, 4 polar bears came for a visit, and they started a 6 hr siege. Jaime said a 5th bear appeared who must have been the bad-ass of the island, as the other 4 bears scattered in its presence. While the other bears were startled by the bear bangers and warning rifle shots, this one was not. Jaime has a video shot of a bear banger completing a direct hit on this bear and it hardly flinches.

It was a great presentation! Excellent photos, some amazing video of kayakers being chased by polar bears, and great story telling. We had 190 people in attendance.

Thanks Dan M. for promoting the event on West Coast Paddler!!

Bob Putnam
Deep Cove Outdoors / Deep Cove Kayak

Hi Dan.

As Jamie explained, it was a mother bear nursing her very large male offspring.

And yeah, Facebook is probably still in the dark ages about showing females nursing their young in public.

Back