• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pacific Water Sports decals

drahcir

Paddler
This is on a PWS kayak, but I am only aware of the sea otter, avocet, and seal decals. Does anyone know which Lee Moyer kayak this would be?
pws-decal.jpeg
pws-decal.jpeg

The kayaks that are PWS sea otters or avocets have their own distinctive designs. Maybe this is a thunderbird?

Interesting. I didn't know that. Here is the design on a Sea Otter from a trip taken in 2005.
15Dave.jpg

It might be a decal transfer, but I've seen reference to that logo being for both a double
logo-double.png

as well as for a single thunderbird model:
logo-Thunderbird-single.jpg

What I don't know is if the doubles were always Thunderbirds or various other models - as some singles were thunderbirds as well.
Anyway, for certain something is confusing.

anyway, I really like the 'lee moyer design' font . . . but the logos themselves are sort of odd and confusing.

I looked at the kayak today ... likely a thunderbird single. About !6.5' long, 25" wide, and the usual long waterline you see for PWS boats. Definitely a big person boat (I was big at birth, but haven't grown much since).

I've noted that one source said that the thunderbird single was 17'-6" x 2'-4"and that the Sea Otter was called Sea Otter 17 at 17' x 1'-11" and another says was 16' x 2'-1" with flattish bottom, so maybe it was the sea otter or another model - or more confusion.

I found this thread by googling. I picked up a kayak today and am trying to figure out what I have. It has the logo referenced above, as well as the very classy bird on the bow. 16.5' with a single rear bulkhead and a small round access hatch on the front deck, port side. Thanks for the add, btw.

JW

Here is the decal for the Osprey. The "Lee Moyer Design" decal could be found on any of the may kayaks and canoes he designed. Most were his Pacific Water Sports brand. , He also designed the Chinook for Aquaterra, one of the first roto-molded kayaks.
16' Osprey.jpg

Question, I can't find ANY info on the Osprey, and one popped up for sale locally. What is reasonable asking price in good condition, and what is the beam on it?

Thanks!

Here is the decal for the Osprey. The "Lee Moyer Design" decal could be found on any of the may kayaks and canoes he designed. Most were his Pacific Water Sports brand. , He also designed the Chinook for Aquaterra, one of the first roto-molded kayaks.
View attachment 10251

PWS-Osprey-info.jpg

For price . . . hard to know what works for you. They closed shop in 2002, so all the kayaks are dated in appearance and to some degree design. So check for UV damage - espec on the hatch covers. Look on craigslist to see what 2nd hand kayaks are going for in your area and make adjustments based on age, UV damage and condition and whether the LP or GT model.

Basic shape is fine, good size for gear. low rocker - so speed will be ok,
Drawbacks are: -ckpt egodynamics are clunky - no dropped coaming rear making laybacks awkward. I don't know ckpt opening size, but might be smallish to raise knees - check if visiting.
- dated appearance​
-very small front hatch cover​
- no deck lines​

Back