• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Ikea Rensare Dry Bag

Geoff

Paddler

Anyone checked these out? I need to stock up on dry bags for packing on trips and these certainly hit a nice price point.

I don't have the comparative specs for other drybags that I use but the price is pretty darn intriguing. $4. Really? For a 9 litre drybag? Yeah. Interesting. I do wonder about the durability of the material and welds. I'm also curious about the texture of the outside as if it doesn't slide against other bags it would be a non-starter but.........interested.

5 litre is my preferred size for most things but I just discovered that an orange left in my 5 litre OR drybag last Summer destroyed it so maybe.........

I've found that durability and low-friction material are pretty much mutually exclusive. The 'old style' PVC (rubbery) bags I own are very rugged; the more slippery bags with the cloth-like texture seem more delicate.
I use an older PVC SealLine Baja 10L bag as a paddle carry (to and from the car, and in the car) bag for day paddles. It's still going strong after years of abuse from shoving the blades of paddles into it. I'll probably try the Rensare bag in its place to compare.

I also wish the Rensare was available in a 4L or 5L size - it will be interesting to see the actual working size with the top rolled down to seal.

Yeah. The bombproof PVC jobs are dead to me. I gave them all away to folks who would be happy with their compromises. That said I understand that the lighter weight "slippery" bags are more delicate but I've never had one fail. This OR 5 litre "lunch bag" that I destroyed breaks my heart because we have been together for such a long time and it is the only bag exactly like it that I owned and we were such a perfect couple. It performed so well until it got eaten alive. I must be a terrible human being.

I will probably buy another one just like and pay way too much for it and damn it anyway!

One tactic that helped me with the 'sticky' PVC bags was to slide them inside lightweight nylon ripstop stuff sacs; that reduced the friction and allowed them to be jammed into the boat more easily. I had some home-made stuff sacs left from backpacking years ago. I added a length of 1/2" webbing to some of the over-bags as a 'fetch handle' to retrieve the bag from the bowels of the kayak. (I usually have a stick with a hook on the end thrown into the bow compartment to help with that job.)

Ya know, I only have so much tolerance for the results of experimentation. One of the ways we manage risk is by finding what works and eliminating it as a possible source of failure. Big stuff. Little stuff. It all matters at some point in time and if your lunch bag leaks and you have to accommodate that failure it just starts to add up. Like what is gonna be next?

Sorry but I am still dealing with the death of my green OR friend.

Reactions: CPS
One tactic that helped me with the 'sticky' PVC bags was to slide them inside lightweight nylon ripstop stuff sacs; that reduced the friction and allowed them to be jammed into the boat more easily. I had some home-made stuff sacs left from backpacking years ago. I added a length of 1/2" webbing to some of the over-bags as a 'fetch handle' to retrieve the bag from the bowels of the kayak. (I usually have a stick with a hook on the end thrown into the bow compartment to help with that job.)

A Mariner, right?

Ya know, I only have so much tolerance for the results of experimentation.
Yes, but - ENTER GEEZER MODE - very often when I try to replace a well-loved piece of gear, or just buy a backup item, it's discontinued.....or even worse, still listed with the same description but made in a new, different, and shoddy way. EXIT GEEZER MODE....
:)

A Mariner, right?
Not actually. I started doing that with skinny ended boats (Outer Island, Romany, Frej, Panthera, Njord) and boats with skegs where bags get jammed more easily. I do use the 'stick' in my Mariners too - anything that reduces the hassle when I need something in the ends of the boat is a plus..
Certainly in a Mariner without bulkheads and hatches (mine have 'em) you need to think about getting those bags out again, but I think some folks use very large triangular bags in the ends in those boats which are loaded through the cockpit.

I use a triangular Sealine bag for clothing in the bow. I have a jute line attached to it as a retrieval line and stuff it as far forward as it will go with my folded Sven Saw which lays along the keel behind it. I use jute because it is light and reasonably strong but also flammable so it I need fire starter I use it. The hatch is dry.

Behind the skeg, as far back as I can force it with the Sven Saw, I stuff rolls of compressed toilet paper in ziplock bags (two rolls per bag) with color coded lines of jute. My trip partners laugh at my insistence of packing 8 full rolls for a 3-4 week trip but in 2015 I needed it all. TMI. The color coded lines are cut to different lengths also (belt and suspenders) so that the next one to pull out has a longest string.

Sorry about that diversion but your stick got me to thinking about my true and tested process.

These seem intriguing.

I just bought a few NRS Tuff Sacks, and they are super grippy. I should have just gotten 10L bags. I've previously put 15L in my rear hatch without too much issue but these bags lack the slide factor. We'll see if they get slicker over time. Might just need to get dirty.

I've had mixed luck with fabric bags. Had a few OR bags that would let dampness through. Kind of like a raincoat where the DWR has worn off. Nother ever got soggy, but sort of clammy.

I'll pick a few of these up when I'm out at IKEA next. Even just something to keep the odds and ends together.

Rensare bags arrived today with a few other IKEA items - 2 day delivery; quick.

First impressions: The plastic material looks pretty rugged and the welds look solid.
Size: These are listed as 9L.They are wider and shorter than the SealLine Baja bag that I had handy for comparison.
mini-DSCN4658.JPG

Laid flat the Rensare is 19" tall and 14" wide.
mini-DSCN4655.JPG

I stuffed a few jackets inside and the bag will pass through a standard 10" hatch opening.

mini-DSCN4654.JPG

The bottom of the Rensare is welded into a rectangular shape, simpler to manufacture than the round bottom in the SealLine/Cascade Designs bags I own, and not as smooth when packed.
mini-DSCN4656.JPG

Also the Rensare doesn't have any material above the top stiffeners - see pictures. I think that extra fold of material helps to keep water out.
mini-DSCN4660.JPG

But, for the price I think they will be quite useful. Certainly if somebody was getting started in kayaking and kayak camping they would be a good bet - 'name-brand' stuff sacks have gotten expensive.

.... This OR 5 litre "lunch bag" that I destroyed breaks my heart because we have been together for such a long time and it is the only bag exactly like it that I owned and we were such a perfect couple. I...

I feel your pain, I'm sort of in the same boat. My beloved lunch bag is falling apart after 10-15 years of faithful service. Leaks have been patched over the years but now the strap has come unglued. I've always loved the cordura type material; durable, supple, and not sticky. Last few trips he's stayed home but I'll probably get out the aquaseal for another repair and take him along for our spring break trip as I miss having him along and no replacement with character has shown up
lunchbag.jpg

Looks like they recently added a 2.5L version for a whopping $2.49

I took both sizes on a few trips. They're not the most durable, but they're pretty good for the price. I was storing my keys in one and it poked through.

I use them to keep odds and ends together, being translucent is helpful to remember what bag stuff is in.

Back