• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Is anyone thinking of selling their double?

Kault316

Paddler
My wife is now more comfortable with me in a tandem on trips so we’re considering a purchase as it wouldn’t take many trips to pay for one when we spend $600 / week to rent. We’re not looking for a heavily used older model because that’s what we are!
A carbon model at Western is $4000 before taxes so we’re looking for a similar used model for sub $3000
We don’t need accessories as we have two Pygmy Cohos already.
Is there anyone in this group looking to pass their boat onto a good home?

might be a little small, but worth checking out?

Or
sounds like 'get out the dbl plans, plywood, and epoxy'!

Or
sounds like 'get out the dbl plans, plywood, and epoxy'!
And, the materials for a double would cost close to (or more than) $1800 if using commercial hatches, rudder and pedals, and marine ply with glass and epoxy.

"Lightweight' and 'double kayak' don't often go together. It may be a hard thing to find.

Reactions: CPS
And, the materials for a double would cost close to (or more than) $1800 if using commercial hatches, rudder and pedals, and marine ply with glass and epoxy.

"Lightweight' and 'double kayak' don't often go together. It may be a hard thing to find.
The Osprey double certainly qualifies.
I think that’s the direction I’m leaning unless something else presents.

The Osprey double certainly qualifies.
I think that’s the direction I’m leaning unless something else presents.
Google turns up a bunch of 'Osprey' doubles. Which one are you considering?
I'm assuming it isn't building the Pygmy, since:
a) the business is closed
b) You said earlier: My dream is to build a Pygmy double but I don’t currently have the time or space to work on it.
Are you looking for a 'built' Pygmy Osprey?

Yes, I would like to build a Pygmy Osprey double. I have already built two cohos and the garage is full! I didn't know they had temporarily ceased production. So, still looking for a possible tandem to buy....

What about something thermoformed like a Delta? The 17.5 is just under 70lbs (lighter than the carbon tandem) and sub $3000.

Definitely agree that tandem and light don't often go together. How I wish it wasn't the case.

What about something thermoformed like a Delta? The 17.5 is just under 70lbs (lighter than the carbon tandem) and sub $3000.

Definitely agree that tandem and light don't often go together. How I wish it wasn't the case.
I’m looking for a tandem sea kayak capable of a multi day expedition for my wife and I. I can’t see 17.5 as cutting it for gear and food for two.
Weight is a factor and hence the Pygmy Osprey double is number one on my wishlist
I would buy a built one, although new, they are likely well over $4000
By the way, thermoformed means plastic, correct?

Reactions: CPS
Fair enough. Yes, thermoformed ABS, lighter than the more common polyethylene kayak.

I know this suggestion is a little outside the box, but would you consider a canoe? I acknowledge that they are less seaworthy than kayaks, but for local trips in class 2 ocean water with lots of hand-railing and few crossings, a canoe will fit the bill. Lighter than a double kayak, more carrying capacity, more comfortable, etc. Cheaper too.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Andrew

If you are reconsidering building how about Cape Falcon's skin-on-frame F2?
Light, tough, roomy, fairly cheap and performs well. Might need a big garage though as it is 20' long.
Our family has the thermoformed Passage Tx. It is a bit of a tank and it does not have much storage space.

I know this suggestion is a little outside the box, but would you consider a canoe? I acknowledge that they are less seaworthy than kayaks, but for local trips in class 2 ocean water with lots of hand-railing and few crossings, a canoe will fit the bill. Lighter than a double kayak, more carrying capacity, more comfortable, etc. Cheaper too.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Andrew

I used to do a lot of canoeing and although I still think they're great, you can't beat the protection that a kayak affords on the salt chuck. We'd need a spray skirt for sure in a canoe. I think a tandem kayak is a better long term call for some bigger adventures on the west coast as well.

Your comment about wood double S&Gs got me musing that I have never designed a double. So for fun & to add to the quiver, I spent a few hours sketching out this schematic of a 4 over 6 panel S&G 20'-6 x 29" .

RenDbl1aa.jpg

Hey thanks, Kault316. But it is just a schematic, no hydrostatics, and so there's a million tweaks and hours of refinement that would be necessary to make it realistic . . . sorry for the off topic.
However there are other build possibilities like the smaller Clc shearwater double, the Bear Mtn double, and the strip heron double that have available plans.

Evening Kault316...not sure if you are still looking for a tandem, but I have a Boreal Design Passage 18' 5" with Rudder (Yellow). I would be open to selling if you are interested. No damage or major hull scratches. About 75lbs. Great for day trips or multiday trips. Last year we did a week long trip to Broughton Archipelago with it. Travels great and can be a tank through the waves when needed!

Where are you located? I'm in Port Alberni, BC. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or you are interested at sbourgoin@shaw.ca.

Thanks
Shawn

Evening Kault316...not sure if you are still looking for a tandem, but I have a Boreal Design Passage 18' 5" with Rudder (Yellow). I would be open to selling if you are interested. No damage or major hull scratches. About 75lbs. Great for day trips or multiday trips. Last year we did a week long trip to Broughton Archipelago with it. Travels great and can be a tank through the waves when needed!

Where are you located? I'm in Port Alberni, BC. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or you are interested at sbourgoin@shaw.ca.

Thanks
Shawn

Email sent. thanks

My wife is now more comfortable with me in a tandem on trips so we’re considering a purchase as it wouldn’t take many trips to pay for one when we spend $600 / week to rent. We’re not looking for a heavily used older model because that’s what we are!
A carbon model at Western is $4000 before taxes so we’re looking for a similar used model for sub $3000
We don’t need accessories as we have two Pygmy Cohos already.
Is there anyone in this group looking to pass their boat onto a good home?
Hi there not sure if you found a boat but we are selling our Seward Passat for $2700. It is almost new condition only used three times on the Yukon Quest race. 778 348 0562. Cheers!

Hi there not sure if you found a boat but we are selling our Seward Passat for $2700. It is almost new condition only used three times on the Yukon Quest race. 778 348 0562. Cheers!
Hi, thanks for the reply. Can you send me some specs and pics?
Thanks

Kevin

Back