• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Is this new toy going too far - drones

cougarmeat

Paddler
A computer news page - https://tinyurl.com/45tyfar9 - mentioned a new DJI camera drone available in March with a 31 minute fly time. Ever wonder, when approaching Jones Island, if the south beach or the WWTA site on the west side will be full. Or if you are on Sucia and considering moving over to Patos but not if the main camping area is "crowded" - i.e. roaming dogs, boombox music. You could send this little drone to check it out before you commit.

I'm not saying it's for me - Flying an expensive "toy" over water; what could go wrong ...

I can see it used more for white water route scouting.

It piqued my interest because on my last paddle to Jones, we passed the north beach, circled around to the south, found it packed, continued around to the west, found the water trails site full, and made full circle back to the north beach. This was after a push from Patos Island.

I don't know - maybe these "surprises", good or bad, are the spice of life. Let's go and see what we will find, good or bad, and deal with it. Or, we have a tool now that might let us plan more according to the actual "right now" situation.

We have one poster who makes well crafted video reviews using aerial photography/videos. It's nice to know what's there with respect to landscape/beaches, pre-trip. I'm not so sure I'd warm up to on-the-water-real-time review of the situation. But I'm and old guy. I still think a mouse it the only way to move a cursor around a computer screen.

Too bad they don't have an optional pfd for the drone, as well as an "I am here" locator so you can fish it out of the drink if need be.

I didn't think I would enjoy owning a drone as much as I do. We do not use it in busy areas or around bird life, but it has been a fun little toy to get some great photos. It definitely has some uses, but they are quite limited: we found it useful for scouting lake and sea ice. And looking for polar bears.

Meh, maybe its just an expensive selfie stick :D

"Too bad they don't have an optional pfd for the drone, as well as an "I am here" locator so you can fish it out of the drink if need be."
....Really surprised I haven't destroyed mine yet. I have crashed into a few things and have yet to break anything...yet!

From what I have read, the new DJI Mini 3 flight time pushes 40 min (but then exceeds the 250g weight threshold and thus requires a permit). Our DJI Mini 2 gets "31 minutes" of flight time. With video, photos, and wind, launching and landing, this rarely exceeds 25min.

1676072388076.png

Great Slave Lake

1676072476833.png

Cape Bathurst

1676072510856.png

Horton River

The unit mentioned in the link hasn't been released yet. It's an "SE" model with a proposed 31 minute flight time and the rest of the specs keep it under any licensing requirements (under 250g).

Nice tents and boats. I like your priorities of keeping that kayak - looks like a Mariner Express - behind the tent. Oh, it's a river, not a shoreline. I guess isn't so much a high tide issue.

OnTheWater2s.jpg

When Matt, from Mariner, saw this photo (taken about 2008)- the last new Express sold - ever the instructor, he mentioned that at rest, I might want my paddle blades parallel to the water - just in case I needed to brace. Also, my pump/float would better serve inside or in front.

Last edited:
The unit mentioned in the link hasn't been released yet. It's an "SE" model with a proposed 31 minute flight time and the rest of the specs keep it under any licensing requirements (under 250g).

Nice tents and boats. I like your priorities of keeping that kayak - looks like a Mariner Express - behind the tent. Oh, it's a river, not a shoreline. I guess isn't so much a high tide issue.
The technology is advancing too fast for me haha!

Thanks! The tent was a splurge for a long expedition - not necessary for the BC Coast haha. Basically two Solstices - a fiberglass one and a plastic Storm. Its a photo from the mouth of the Horton River on the Arctic Coast. Still not much tide issue though lol. I like keeping the kayaks close - at least within eyesight - on most trips, they have my whole life in there! On this trips we were experimenting with kayaks as bear fences.

1676076370110.png

Back