ISO Sea Kayak skirt- Seals shocker 1.4 or 1.7, medium waist

Shauna K

Hard to find gear right now! If you know anyone not using one of these, or something comparable, I'm going on a big trip July 17th and would love to find one before then. Thanks!

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
A few days ago a friend spotted a Shocker 1.4 (? or 1.7; I forget) at the Victoria MEC.
It might be worth a phone call on the off chance that they still have it there.
On my boats (Mariner or Romany, which take a 1.4 and 1.7 respectively) the Level Six Excursion Medium fits. It's not a neoprene skirt but I've used it on a trip and it worked well. Try phoning L6 in Ottawa or check the website.

eriktheviking

Paddler
Hard to find gear right now! If you know anyone not using one of these, or something comparable, I'm going on a big trip July 17th and would love to find one before then. Thanks!
Sprayskirts seem particularly difficult to find right now- not sure if Seals is delivering any at the moment. Agree about trying L6. I was at WCK last week and they asked if I needed a skirt when I picked up my kayak there (I didn't) but implies they might have some, or expecting some at least. The online stock listed is very thin so calling might make sense
<https://westerncanoekayak.com>
I got a new skirt from AQOutdoors in March- they had a few Snapdragon skirts left so worth asking there
<https://aqoutdoors.com>
Valhalla lists several models but again shows little or no stock online
<http://vpo.ca>
Worth trying PagaieQuebec as they list a few in stock
<http://‎pagaiequebec.ca > (search for "jupette")

Working through the Seals dealers list- <https://www.kayakjunky.com> claim to have the Shocker 1.7/M in stock. Never bought anything from them but worth looking at.

Last edited:

Shauna K

Thank you both for the help! A friend has one I can borrow for my trip so the pressure is off for now, but I will continue my hunt when I return so I really appreciate the input.
Have a great summer!

sofstu

Paddler
I spoke to a local store a couple weeks ago and it turns out their entire yearly order got cancelled.
Their distributor couldn't get enough to fill the orders.
They deal with Brooks sprayskirts, so things may be different with Seals.

dermot

Paddler
was in Brooks workshop in burnaby last week
they have alot of stock on hand, hundreds of spray decks
the size Eva was after was out of stock, and they made one for her to pickup the next day
worth the drive over as they did not answer mutiple calls

SZihn

Paddler
Speaking of spray skirts, can anyone here tell me what the Seals sizing system means and how it's calculated?

My wife just bought a 35 year old kayak and the make and model are not on the Seals chart. It's a "Pyranah Everest-390" and the new boat is simply called the Pyranah Everest. If you look at the 2 they are nothing alike. I have all the dimensions of the cockpit combing, but I have no idea what a 1.2, 1.4, 1.7 or any other size means.

The old Everest-390 kayak has a cockpit that's 32.5" long outside to outside , 20.5" wide outside to outside, the combing rim is 88" in circumference at the outside and it's 85" around at the inside where it meets the deck.

I wonder what the Seals sizing means? Is it in meters? Is it measured at the outside of the combing or at the inner rim of the combing?

Their chart doesn't show the old Everest 390, so I can't get any information on what to order from that. If I knew what the system actually meant I could simply order one that would fit, but so far I have not been able to find out.

Last edited:

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I'd contact Seals (if possible) and ask if I could send a paper tracing of the outside of the cockpit rim, if I had a hard-to-fit coakpit.

SZihn

Paddler
"If possible" has been the problem. I can't yet say if it is. No address. No phone number.

They do have e-mail and I did send them a message, but have not heard back yet. I sent the same message to Oak Orchard Canoe in New York because I have purchased some things from them on 4 occasions and they have been helpful in the past. They are Seals dealers. In every instance so far they have been patient and quite helpful to me and my wife, so I am recommending them.

Some other shops have seemed as if they didn't want to take any time with newbies, and they certainly don't have to,--------- just like I don't have to give them any of out money.

I always remember those that help me. Gratefulness is an attribute that seems to have been largely lost in modern society here in the USA but it will not be something I loose.
I remember.
Always..
I'll check my e-mail tonight and see if Seals replies.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
You could try Reed Chillcheater in the UK- I have mailed them a tracing in the past and they made a skirt from it for me.
But that would not work with your 'Made in USA' preference, I guess.

I have heard that Seals are 'out of stock' on many sizes of skirts.

red kite

Paddler
But that would not work with your 'Made in USA' preference, I guess.
^^^ This.
Otherwise I'd have thrown Brooks into the mix for custom orders. However, as mentioned above, I know that, like Seals, they are still slammed and trying to catch up to some level of normal. Supply chain seems to have been a problem too. So it may take considerably longer than pre-2020 standards to hear back from them.

SZihn

Paddler
Well if nothign is made in the USA, (or if the quality of the US product is less then an import) I have no problem with imports.
As a rule I find Chinese imports to be sub-standard in quality for nearly everything, but things from the UK and from Europe are usually OK, as are most oriental products ....with the exception of Chinese made items.
If the import taxes are too high it can cause me to back off from a sale, but that's not the fault of the maker as a rule. It's the fault of the government here.