• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Just paddling in a tandem with a Purple Baseball Cap.

Astoriadave said:
That's looking good, pointbob. I agree a shorter paddle would probably work a bit better for her. Shorter equals lighter, and would likely be more in her natural cadence pace for the effort she wants to exert.

The big question is, are you guys having fun??? Looks like it.

We're actually having an awesome time. Exploring baby riptides, saltwater in the face and NOT clacking the paddles with the new kayak. So many learning curves - like loading a 20 foot kayak on a car top lol. Fortunately the boat is very forgiving and fast/stable in the water so a total joy that way. We got lucky finding the current boat as our last kayak - the yellow pelican ("banana boat") was stolen...We sort of cut our teeth on that kayak and really discovered that being on the water in a kayak was so much fun.

One thing we did not expect is the attention people give when we show up with a big shiny red kayak at a boat ramp..lots of curious onlookers asking about her...

anyways - still much to learn but thanks a lot to the folks here with great tips...

x_P8050193.jpg

P8030033s.jpg

pointbob said:
So many learning curves - like loading a 20 foot kayak on a car top

Easy, even up on to a van - if done the right way. I use an extender out to the side from the back rack and load the aft end on to that. Load the front end on to the rack, pull down and swing the aft end on to the rack. I then tie the kayak to the vehicle, not the rack. I have bungies made from sliced inner tubes to hold the kayak to the rack. I'm not the only one down here who can and does load a double single-handed up on to a van, not just up on to a car.

A long kayak certainly makes for non-clashing of paddles. Mine is 6.25 m long.

I usually haul our double over to the rear of the vehicle, towing from the nose, stern wheels supporting the stern of the boat, and lift the bow onto a set of Hully Rollers attached to the rear rack. Then move to the stern and shove like hell to get the boat onto both racks. Then climb up into an open door of the vehicle and muscle the kayak forward into position. Easier if you have Hullies up front also, but doable if the front rack has cradles.

Mac50L's extender trick is another good method. Yakima sells purpose built extenders for its racks. Thule might also.

It is actually less trouble for me to solo load than when I have "help."

Hey..I was thinking about doing a day trip to mayne island from point roberts ~ 20km one way. (start very early). Just a cpl of questions - how would I find the "bearing" on the route below. I have a gps but would also like to use the kayak compass.

Also I'm was not going to handle active pass; just land the east side of mayne island (bennet bay?) for a quick lunch and likely back again.

2014_09_24_112329.jpg

Hopefully someone more experienced will have better tips - as a beginner, a trip like that scares the crap out of me. I'd want to make sure I could easily do a double rescue after a few good hours of paddling (at the average pace of 3.5mph it should take you a little over 3.5 hours each way), bring a radio, be ready for immersion, etc. Help will be a long way away if something goes wrong halfway through. I'm probably overthinking it, but.. :)

tiagosantos said:
Hopefully someone more experienced will have better tips - as a beginner, a trip like that scares the crap out of me. I'd want to make sure I could easily do a double rescue after a few good hours of paddling (at the average pace of 3.5mph it should take you a little over 3.5 hours each way), bring a radio, be ready for immersion, etc. Help will be a long way away if something goes wrong halfway through. I'm probably overthinking it, but.. :)

I hear you :)

I've read about several people making the crossing, but mostly heard about the boredom. Mark from this site did it once, and several SKABC members also. I think all of these went from Cabbage Is region over to Tsawwassen using tidal flow as an assist. I think Mark mentioned that he got flipped once when he was zoning out and not paying attention.

In any case, have backups and plan to use current to your advantage - as depending on the time, they primarily go back and forth through the strait but also do swirl around a bit in large partial circles.
Here's a typical page out of the Current Atlas (that's work looking at or something sim).

pointbob said:
Hey..I was thinking about doing a day trip to mayne island from point roberts ~ 20km one way. (start very early). Just a cpl of questions - how would I find the "bearing" on the route below. I have a gps but would also like to use the kayak compass.
Also I'm was not going to handle active pass; just land the east side of mayne island (bennet bay?) for a quick lunch and likely back again.

I haven't done this exact crossing, but I have done the similar one from the spit the Tsawwassen ferry terminal sits on to Cabbage Island (and back). This typically took me between 4 1/2 to 6 hours. You do want a long window of good weather, plus plenty of daylight in case things take longer than you think. For both reasons, I'd suggest this is the wrong time of year for this trip. Mid-summer, when you have long days and (sometimes) stable air masses might be better.

Pointbob,

That can be pretty big water, with ginormous fetch for winds to form heavy seas. You would want pretty calm conditions, and a forecast for same, with "light winds" being your best bet. Yeah, you need to have your self rescue mojo squared away, and definitely wear immersion protection gear. As to compass bearing, consider getting a start on navigation, using a protractor and the compass rose on a chart, maybe on smaller stuff. Burch has a tome on navigation, although perhaps more than you want to tackle right now.

Very unlikely Customs will pursue you if you touch Mayne and go right back, though that does violate the law. On our side, however, the Homeland Security black helos may find you an interesting morsel! :wink: :) Seriously, I have been scoped by the USCG small boat guys a couple times, and swooped by the USCG helo once, minding my own business, middle of the Columbia River, distant from any ships, installations, etc, recent years. In the 1990s, never drew any attention from the Coasties. A lone kayak, returning from Canada ... land of BC bud ... naw, they won't care about you!

Burch: http://starpath.com/catalog/books/1839.htm

Well! Talk about crazy weather sunday past. We get about 1/2 way and bam! Pea soup fog; totally bonkers. Could not see 50 feet lol. So we turned back and explored some coastline instead. Great fun nonetheless; and thank god for GPS/compasses. My next thing is to set up some sort of suction cup set up for my rod holder; I had a cpl of hits but just too awkward kayaking and hold rod between legs. Not crazy about kayaking without spray skirt on in those conditions either. Some pics below and we've upgraded the PFD's too - so much nicer.

Astoriadave said:
Suction cup mount from RAM:

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/Kay ... fault.aspx

RAM makes quality stuff.

+1
I use the RAM suction cup for my GPS, and it works (still, I tether the mount and GPS).
The RAM components are modular, so you can get a good-fitting holder for your GPS, and also parts to make an 'arm' so you can get the GPS a bit closer to your lap- something to think about if you have a full-size cockpit.

For Canadians, GPS Central in Calgary sells the RAM products.
http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/ramaccessories.htm

Thanks guys; suction cup/ rod folder concept worked out good. No fish caught kayaking - just lots of seaweed tho' haha. Going to harbor freight to get a double cup for extra security but no probs with the single...

Pointbob,

Are you a contortionist? I think I would never be able to grab that rod, mounted on the back deck.

Must work. You are out there doing it.

Love the driftwood spacer.

Haha Dave, the back is the only really flat spot on the kayak so it was a no brainer that way. As for twisting around; I can reach over with one arm pretty easily so it works fine. Best thing is it's out of the way of paddling! Now just to catch a salmon....

Back