• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kayakers protest as Arctic drill rig moors off Seattle

I hear you, seadevil ... his thesis is that the petroleum is there for the enhancement of mankind and our use ... and he ignores its finite nature. He takes the ostrich approach. Hard to take anything else he says seriously.

seadevilsadvocate said:
nootka said:
/

If I was in Seattle ,I might paddle out with the group but my main interest would be having a look at a giant modern oil rig. Until a suitable alternative is found, there will be no stopping oil production.

Actually a suitable alternative has been found. It was found 30 years ago with electric cars. But politicians who lived in the pockets of big oil sold out society and the environment.

The means and technology have existed a long time now. But the political will is not there since the public is always lied to or only given partial truths. Vicious circle that cripples effective democracy.

pointbob said:
Actually a suitable alternative has been found. It was found 30 years ago with electric cars. But politicians who lived in the pockets of big oil sold out society and the environment.

The means and technology have existed a long time now. But the political will is not there since the public is always lied to or only given partial truths. Vicious circle that cripples effective democracy.
YES. This is one of my pet peeves and major soap boxes. We could have stopped the changes to the climate and we could have gotten off the oil teat, but The Powers That Be caved to Detroit. We're in a mess entirely of our own making.

Along with electric cars as an alternative to petrol is hemp. Henry Ford built a car using hemp resins and built it to run on hemp seed oil, around 75 years ago (see photo on page 138 in the "Great Book of Hemp). Today many cars are built using hemp resin for dash boards and door panels, but since hemp is classified alongside heroin as a Schedule I drug it has been unusable as fuel. Again due to lies, half-truths and propaganda for the sake of special interest profits.

The original diesel engine was designed to run on hemp seed oil.

-0-

The problems associated with using petrol is many. Among them is the undisputed fact that that industry is not using high enough standards to insure accidents do not occur.

Pipeline Spews 21,000 Gallons of Oil Along California Coast
Four-mile-long oil slick fouls some of the state's most beautiful coastline at Refugio State Beach.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/pip ... rnia-coast

-0-

The kayaker's protest in Seattle includes many issues concerning the oil industry, almost too many to list. And today, while oil prices are lower, it's an opportunity to drill less not more. Is there anyplace where the oil industry has not had an accident?

Protesting kayakers protest in part because of concern with allowing additional oil extraction in new locations within a more harsh environment given the track record of past oil extraction... When has a bad apple been stopped from continuing???

Arguably, the following case is in Our backyard and the companies back yard. How will the quality of operation be conducted when it's north of Alaska and not in the companies back yard?

-0-

Pipeline Operator In Calif. Spill Reportedly Had History Of Infractions
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... nfractions

The Texas-based company responsible for the undersea pipeline that has leaked tens of thousands of gallons of oil into the sea near the coast at Goleta, Calif., has a history of federal safety violations, The Los Angeles Times reports.

The newspaper reports that Plains All American Pipeline has accumulated 175 safety and maintenance infractions since 2006: "A Times analysis of data from the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration shows Plains' rate of incidents per mile of pipe is more than three times the national average. Among more than 1,700 pipeline operators listed in a database maintained by the federal agency, only four companies reported more infractions than Plains Pipeline."

pointbob said:
seadevilsadvocate said:
nootka said:
/

If I was in Seattle ,I might paddle out with the group but my main interest would be having a look at a giant modern oil rig. Until a suitable alternative is found, there will be no stopping oil production.

Electricity is not a fuel source. You still have to generate the electricity to make the car run.

How do you feel about run-of-river, site C dam, wind farms? If we all drive electric cars we're going to have to increase generation of electricity.

This article suggests a 29% increase in generation capacity ... much of which will have to be generated using coal and oil fired facilities ...
http://www.quora.com/If-all-cars-in-the ... percentage

Back