• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kayaking and Staph infection?

Doug, those pics are powerful, you just don't mess around with infections as they can spin out of control way to quickly.

I too am happy that I went to the clinic. I praise Dr. Thompson at the clinic as he didn't "dick around" about dishing out the antibiotics to nip it in the bud. (turns out he is a kayaker too. special treatment?)

If I was Rider I would put kayaking on the shelf until the cause of all this is found ( it may never be known thou ) and full treatment has been done.

Very timely post here. Candi and I had big discussions on how to keep the feet dry after this week of paddling. We had a couple of days of rain and only hiking shoes that once wet remained wet. By about Wed, I thought my feet were going to rot off! We both had dry socks but no dry shoes to put them in! Luckily the sun came out after that.

Firstly with the staph infection that Rider has trouble with - often if you have a staph infection, it can return very easily. I understand that you can easily end up a "carrier" of the staph bug and it will haunt you like it is Rider. Very good foot care...baring them to the sun when possilble, moisturizing so they don't dry and crack...possibly with something like the Fucidin that was mentioned, or a Tea Tree Oil cream. The sun is a great treatment though.
I would always dry those neo socks inside out in the sun between trips...or maybe change to a different system.

Candi and I were discussing IanC's footwear and realizing that the Crocs are a much better idea than hiking shoes in camp. Mine didn't dry out until I got home - which means that any socks that I wore would become wet too. We were thinking that rubber boots are an idea too, for in a wet camp - but then your feet may be more dry but they can't breath at all either. IanC's Crocs may allow his feet to get wet in the dew or rain...but then they would dry out easily when the weather cleared or overnight when not in use. Thinner-type socks would probably dry out as you wear them, right Ian? The Crocs and possibly a silver (diabetic) sock would probably be best in my view.

Sorry to see that Doug L!! What a mess that must have been. Glad to see that you recovered. Totally enjoyed meeting you and talking with you at the camp by the way!
Kathy

A temporary solution if your shoes get wet is to dry your feet, put dry socks on followed with a plastic bag. Your feet may still feel wet inside the shoes, but they'll be dry so long as you're not doing anything too strenuous.

Thank you all very much for the replies and good advice.
Doug, that was absolutely awful,glad you recovered from it.
On culture sample analysis-not doable on my infection as there's nothing oozing.
On Clyndamicin-as found out in the first go, I am allergic to the stuff and it didn't seem to work much. Keflax seems to work well.
On source..........*crickets chirping* I really don't know and neither do the docs. Sounds like I became somewhat higher risk for recurrence,but fact is between the first and second time I have done a great many day paddles and surf sessions wearing the same stuff and nothing.
On putting paddling aside till I figure out source-not for me,and doc sais no need for that.
On footwear... On extended paddles, the footwear system will change. Foot size is a major nuissanse in all of this since neoprene socks make for the easiest fit into boats when you have size 12 feet. So far I picked up a pair of breathable neoprene/fleece socks(originally meant for waders and fishermen) that should be a bit more hygienic than the regular neoprene that pools water but doesn't breathe.
Also picked up a new pair of low cut neoprene booties, maybe i'll add a bit of ventilation to the problem area. I think lower cut has a better chance of draining than higher cut,assuming they both do get wet.
May get Kokatat's Tempest drypants with built in socks, but first gotta figure out how they'd fit into the bigger picture.
Or,may buy a pair of new neoprene waders with heavy duty and waterproof, but soft neoprene bottoms and make knee high boots out of them-because regular high boots always come with hard soles that don't typically fit into my boats in my size. (or at the very least are a major pain to get on and off)
On future trips-Doc said he will give me a prescription for more Keflex to keep in my first aid kit if i go anywhere remote.
We'll see how it goes!

@rider:

I just picked up a pair of the Kokatat Tempest pants with built in sock on my way to the WCP weekend and am very happy with them. I wear a pair of light weight water shoes over the built-in socks. I can wade into the water and still keep my feet bone dry in the boat. The water shoes are perfect for inside a tight fitting boat, compared to the heavier neoprene ankle boots that I used to wear. If you want a bit warmer feet, wear some skiing socks ("Hot Chili's" work well) as they are light weight but keep your toes toasty warm.

My only real concern with the Tempest pants is i think they'd become a serious liability if you swim.( fill with water and make re-entry difficult) or do you think it's just a matter of getting wet? Not sure how good they'd seal around the waist. Do you wear them over a wetsuit or on their own with a drytop?

Don't have a magic bullet for keeping feet dry on a yak trip, except the use of good hiking boots with an integral Goretex liner when ashore, maybe? My rain pants overlap the top of my camp boots, so the feet remain relatively dry, even when the outsides of the boots are wet. I treat my boots a couple times a year so they shed water pretty well.

Could be Kathy's silver sox are a magic bullet, I'd guess, as a prophylactic measure. Where do you get those?

I use Chotas for paddling footwear, and they are OK, but never bone dry.

BTW, Rider, Chotas come in a lighter mukluk version without the heavy heel counter, which would conform to the outline of your foot and perhaps allow their use while paddling. The heavy ones I own would not work with size 12 feet. Trouble with the fleece lined Chotas is they take forever to dry.

One other item that I often bring along is antibiotic powder (bought over the counter in a Mexican farmacia - comparable stuff is surely available in Canada/USA.) It's basically talc with some kind of antibiotic active ingredient - not sure what. A light dusting on dry skin (eg. at night) - not just feet, but also other areas that might be irritated from dampness - is pretty effective to keep things comfortable. Powder weighs next to nothing, and a little goes a long way. Probably far too mild a treatment if things get nasty.

Also handy for fresh tattoos, for those that like to combine body art with their coastal experience ....

Attachments

• leopard460x276.jpg
    leopard460x276.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,107
Just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents on the Kokatat pants, Rider. I've used their Whirlpool bibs for four seasons now with dry (and happy!) feet. I wear them in my boat in all but the warmest weather, as well as onshore if I'm out in the rain. I've tried Chota mukluks with them but now use neoprene booties that have drain holes and are just high enough to cover and protect the bibs' socks. The bibs can be paired with a dry top that has an inner skirt to make a drysuit for conditions that you feel warrant immersion wear. If you go for a swim in the bibs alone, which I've tried to find out what would happen (er...you get wet :D ), my experience is that the water moves slowly into the bibs' legs thanks to the tight waistband.

rider said:
...On future trips-Doc said he will give me a prescription for more Keflex to keep in my first aid kit if i go anywhere remote.
We'll see how it goes!

Hello, I am sad to know your health problems, but I am glad that you never give up. I am also bringing first aid kit every time as long as it is possible because of my health problem. My migraine and asthma often attack me. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are the medicines for my migraine. I also have tweezers, alcohol wipe and antiseptic hand cleaner in my first aid kit.

FWIW, I wash my boat out after each trip and the cockpit and hatches get washed with bleach to disinfect any nasties in there. Don't know how often you do a thorough cleaning of the boat, but you could be picking it up there.

Back