Kayaks from space

DarrenM

Paddler
Guess the location and you get to post the next pic, it will be fun. Trust me :)

Use google maps/earth
Must have some land in the image.

Ill go first.

Did I already try this game here???

Astoriadave

Paddler
No app. Just darn hard when you get so little "land," no matter how unique. I don't know of anything like the three fins Darren posted. I'd guess somewhere in the Gulf Islands, from the geology which mght give those parallel ribs -- sandstone?

How about a hint, Darren?

DarrenM

Paddler
Mark_Schilling said:
Nice work. What's the trick?
The way I found it in the first place, was to look for a logical kayaking coast. Then searched for kayak shops in the area. then scanned the coastline....

pryaker

Paddler
That's gotta be here, right?

The Calanques, France? or somewhere nearby...

Funny it's this thread that finally got me to stop lurking and get registered here! Partly because just yesterday I was killing time on google maps looking over the west coast of Van isl. and wondered if there were kayaks shown anywhere?

pryaker

Paddler
Just search google images for "Calanques" and you find a zillion shots.

This one (not my shot) is from a hiking trail that I followed down to the water a couple summers ago. Can't remember the name of the inlet (that's what a calanque is I think) As you can see it's quite windy, that the Mistral which can blow strongly for days. We were there a bit after a Mistral and found one of the byproducts: COLD water. Well not cold by NW standards, but pretty fridgid. My wife likes to swim around the big fin in the picture, which we did but we were shivering by the time we finished. Luckily it didn't take long to warm up in the sunlight!

One thing you'll note from all the pics is that (for good reason) it's a very busy area, lots o boats.

I'll look and see if i have any good shots of my own and post again later.

Roger

PS They have a hell of a lot better resolution there than anywhere on the island! I think i found a sunken boat near the spot shown in that pic I posted!