• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kewl

DarrenM

Paddler
The doors to Victoria's Mountain Equipment Co-op store will open in April 2006 as the Vancouver-based chain finally touches down on the Island.

After months of speculation, MEC chief executive Peter Robinson announced Tuesday the store, the company's 11th, will open at 1450 Government St., taking up the bottom floor of the three-storey Vogue development, the former Forests Ministry building.

http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescol ... 30309e3ae3

Wow, that's good news. It won't be a huge store but that's not a bad size for Victoria. This is another quote from the press release:

"In the smaller stores we tailor the product offering to the sports in the area," said Robinson, noting while the store will carry 80 per cent of the company's total product, it will be weighed heavily in favour of hiking, camping, cycling and paddling.

I wouldn't expect that current paddling shops in Victoria will be hurt by this (mainly I'm thinking of Ocean River Sports and Pacifica Paddling Sports), as they seem to already have product selection and prices that compete with MEC. It will likely increase traffic to both of these shops as more people are drawn to the area. In my opinion, this will probably increase the popularity of outdoor sports (such as kayaking) as well.

Oh darn, I was worried about that, it's only 2 blocks from where I work. That can't be good for the bank account 8O

too bad Dave, I'll have to ride all the way down town (5 km)... :wink:

Dave_Barrie said:
Oh darn, I was worried about that, it's only 2 blocks from where I work. That can't be good for the bank account 8O

Back