knee tube

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
I've no idea where to get that box Andreas, but do you need it to be waterproof? If not, I would suggest trying the North Water Underdeck Bag -- I installed one in my kayak to test it out and then ended up installing two more in my double. There's a few nice things about these bags -- they install quite easily using VinylTec glue, and since the bags are attached using fastex buckles they can be removed quite easily. When my kids and I were on the Bowron Lakes we were switching boats back and forth several times each day -- we'd just unbuckle our bag and put it in the boat that we were in next. I know that you usually paddle the same boat so that's not an issue for you but the removal of the bag makes it so that you can detach it and carry all the contents into your tent or wherever.

These bags hold a lot of stuff -- I'm able to store a 1 litre Nalgene bottle, sunglasses, binoculars, sunscreen, headlamp, small dry bag with spare batteries, and a toque in case my ears get cold. The top of the bag creates a shelf in my high-decked Pygmy boats that is perfect for storing my rain hat.

If you don't need waterproofness, at $45, these bags are a pretty good piece of gear.

Scroll down the page at the Northwater website for more info about these bags:

http://www.northwater.com/html/deckbag_systems.html

andreas

Paddler
hi dan,

yes i was thinking about those bags before---hmmm? i guess i have to think about it again :roll:
i know that i have to outfit my cockpit with something to get more storage space for all the small stuff you need when on the water (sun screen, rain had , repair kit, first aid and so on). if i would glue something in my boat, it would only make it heavier (bad for lifting it on the roof rack by my self) :roll: but if i would use the north water bags i could just unclip and remove them..... hmm? makes sence :D

but i would still like to have a look at the knee tube !

maybe i have to go to the local paddling stores and ask them if they could bring them in!

andreas

Komatiq

Paddler
andreas,
that set up looks familiar..... try here.
http://www.kajaksport.com/eng/minibox.html

You'll have to dig a bit and find a local Kajaksport dealer to order from.

The knee tubs seem to be better known in Europe than here. I seem to remember reading about them a few years back in a kayak book but can't remember where that was..... sorry. :oops:

I have heard some folks use them as a bracing point during rolls so they could serve more purpose than just a storage space.

westcoastwill

Paddler
Andreas, if you want, i can give them a call at the base on Lake Constance and order one for you, i am going to ship some x-mas gifts over to friends in Vancouver soon and to add that knee tube for you would be no big deal. :wink:

Me, i am going to buy some underdeck bags from Northwater next time i get over. 8)

Let me know what you think,

servus,

Willi

andreas

Paddler
@Bob C:

thanks for the link and welcome to the forum!

@westcoastwill:

well, right now i'm just in the "thinking" stage of getting/building a kneetube. thank you for your offer to help me out!!! if you need some north water gear, try www.mec.ca out they would send it to you too. if not then let me know and maybe i can help you out.

take care

andreas

westcoastwill

Paddler
Andreas, i am glad to help you with the knee-tube, let me know when you made up your mind.

At the moment, i am planning a trip to the southwest next march, i will order the northwater underdeckbag (and some more of their stuff from a REI outlet in San Francisco.

I hear you guys have heaps of snow over there, can you send some photos?

Here in Austria the warmest fall in 273 years turns into the mildest winter so far, no snow yet, the gondola and chairlift people in the ski ressorts are going crazy.

servus,

:wink:

Willi

andreas

Paddler
ops :oops: i forgot to send you some snow pictures. snow is finaly gone but it's still to cold to go paddling.

take care
andreas

thief

Paddler
kneetube?

Any words on this???
i am probably going to be ordering a box from kajaksport at the end of this month.....~70$ shipped express from finland to RI......
i have a current designs Pika Boo that i had ordered and then never used....and a northwater underdeck bag that i have nto installed (and if i get the minibox will not install-at least not in my boat).....
just wondered if there had been any followup on this topic from andreas?
rob