• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Knives

I was looking for Titanium when I ended up with the spyderco above. I did not want a folder as I find them too slow to get out with one wet cold hand. 1 knife I would have liked is one called a T Rex make in the U K I think it was. Looks the goods and has a good holder which is almost as important when its on your PFD.

I use a Wenoka Squeeze in Ti for paddling. The price can't be beat for the value of the knifes ergonomics and function and because when I'm paddling I'm often camping and carry steel in my pack, I only want it for emergency cutting on my PFD.

I knew I wouldn't use it for utility cutting when camping, and I didn't want to worry about forgetting to wash it, so I chose titanium as a trade-off to durability vs. stainless and ability to hold an edge during heavy use.

I have been very happy, its compact, easy to access and clips in 3 different ways (your choice) onto your PFD.

I think its a great knife.

I chose not to use it for SCUBA, although I almost bought another one for that. I went with a flat-tip Underwater kinetics with full-tang in stainless steel. When diving, it is much more likely I need a tool for prying, wedging and bashing than just cutting. its about 2.5 times larger than the Squeeze and so I would not want it on my PFD during paddling and kayak maneuvering.

I looked at a lot of knives, and I also considered shears, which might also be a choice for you, depending on what you want to use them for.

I just purchased a knife too. I think it is a bit overkill for paddling.
The pointy tipped one. 5" blade. Now somebody needs to show me how to connect it to my PFD? It has rubber straps to attach to my leg, but I am not wearing it there to paddle!
38.jpg

This thing is way lighter than my Randall #18, 7 1/2" with knurled handle.
survival-big.jpg

A principal use for a knife on the PFD is for quick access to cut yourself free of an entrapping line, bull kelp tendril, etc. Those pointy tipped knives are not favored by many, because there is a substantial risk of skewering yourself on the point. Been a couple bleeding deaths in the WW crowd, over the years, from puncturing a major artery in a rescue where a trapped boater had to be cut out of his spray skirt, quickly.

Better is a blunt tipped one with a serious serrated edge for sawing through cordage, etc. Some favor the "line cutter" non-knives that the EMT folks carry which have the blade(s) inside a vee-shaped access. Here are some toys to consider, maybe the Zeagle unit for cost effectiveness: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Knives.asp

That big pointy one is good for stabbing things, a rare need in a sea kayaking context, although I suppose in a contest with an octopus ... :wink: .

Rick, that round, lumpy olive-drab thing peeking out of the pouch is for getting power boaters to be quiet at night? Or do you have a different way of fishing? :D

Rick, this is the titanium version of the diving knife I mentioned in the post above. I have the flat-tip version in stainless. Its an excellent, full-size knife.

Rrdstarr said:
I just purchased a knife too. I think it is a bit overkill for paddling.
The pointy tipped one. 5" blade. Now somebody needs to show me how to connect it to my PFD? It has rubber straps to attach to my leg, but I am not wearing it there to paddle!
38.jpg

This thing is way lighter than my Randall #18, 7 1/2" with knurled handle.
survival-big.jpg

Or perhaps it belongs in the "Leave No Trace" thread? Cleaning out pit toilets...gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase "Fire in the hole!"

Like those in several earlier posts, I chose the titanium knife and attached the sheath to my pfd. Last summer I ran into a problem of interest. While practicing a reentry after wet exit, the sheath caught on some bungy rigging behind the cockpit making the reentry rather difficult - I didn't notice the cause at first, just thought I was getting even more puny with inexorably advancing age. It's on my to-do list to modify the pfd/sheath connection to avoid getting snagged like this, because (in dire conditions) I might forget the problem and fail to avoid getting caught yet again. I suspect some pfd's are designed so the sheath tucks into sort of an inverted pocket by the shoulder strap. Anybody know for sure?

And I do note that it's the Kokotat 'MsFit Tour' not the 'MsFit'. There are also 2 versions (one older?) of the Kokotat Outfit Tour, only one of which has the desired configuration.

In the meantime, I've reconfigured my existing pfd ... will the DIY patch hold up? Time will tell.

Re: The new MsFit Tour does have a place for the point end of the sheath to fit in but it has a couple of potential quirks.

One is that the fastening location is difficult to hook up due to the exact placement. At least with the Deep See Wenoka blunt tip sqeeze lock (which I recommend). Not quite impossible.

Second is that the placement brings the point in close toward the shoulder enough that it has the lower end (the handle end, since it's held blade up) sticking out away from the body and can have the tendency to hook onto something.

Overall it works well though and gets the Billy Crystal reward: You'll LOOOOK MARVELOUS.

The GCW said:
Second is that the placement brings the point in close toward the shoulder enough that it has the lower end (the handle end, since it's held blade up) sticking out away from the body and can have the tendency to hook onto something.

This has proven quite annoying for me to the point that I have removed my knife from my PFD altogether. Bummer. I'm eager to see what others do to remedy this problem.

Otherwise, though, I'm very happy with my MsFit.

After more years than I care to count the only time the knife has come out of its vest mounted sheath is for another coat of vaseline to keep it from rusting away.

My life jacket is coming due for replacement. A place holder for a knife is going to be very low on the priority list.

Like many on here, I too carry a knife. I've had great luck with the stainless squeeze blade holding up really well, but have definitely run into PFD issues. Where the knife holder is totally matters to me. Being a smaller paddler I've found the location of the attachment point on my current pfd problematic. The knife continuously gets snagged when teaching/practicing rescues. Not something I've noticed in progress - something I've noticed after the fact when the whole knife is missing at gear cleaning time. Last time around I actually found the knife - with the snapped sheath- in the shallow waters where we were playing. Sad - and rapidly getting expensive. I switched out to a smaller knife, with a smaller footprint, on the pfd (the nrs co-pilot). Happy with the size (not one snag or loss so far), not so much with the blade. Treated it the same way I treated my wenoka. No problems with the wenoka and never ending rust issues with the nrs. Sooo - I'd like my next pfd to fit the wenoka without snagging issues due to size/placement.

paddler said:
Sad - and rapidly getting expensive.

Yep, that used to be my experience too. Luckily, I use the Frost Mora knives with the rubberized handles: not too pricey, but I did lose 2 or 3.

I'm moving to a point where I'm taking things off my pfd and strapping them to the boat: radio, knife, hydration. On a recent long trip I stowed everything under the deck mesh in front of the cockpit, except for the tow rope and a small ditch kit. I know the current thinking is that if you don't have it on your body, you don't really have it at all, but I think there is a point where being prepared crosses the line into being encumbered.

Regards,
Andrew

Dumb question: is there any valid reason for having a knife attached to your pfd? Particularly commando style (handle down)?

I'm trying to remember why I thought it might be a good idea. :?

ken_vandeburgt said:
Dumb question: is there any valid reason for having a knife attached to your pfd? Particularly commando style (handle down)?

I'm trying to remember why I thought it might be a good idea. :?
1.) After a lesson/demo from comoxpaddler, I do enjoy consuming the odd Sea Urchin (roe) on the hoof at low tide. One doesn't have to leave the cockpit with a PfD knife attached.
2.) Emergencies...heard a story about a very prominent paddler south of the border who got his over-the-arch boot strap caught on his foot peg trying to bail out of his boat in dynamic waters...he had to cut it with his knife.
It isn't hard to imagine something your wearing getting caught and having to cut yourself free.
BTW...after hearing the above story, I cut my Boot straps right off...never used them anyways...what the heck, one never knows.

Back