• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kokatat storm cag

Hey folks, I'm looking for feedback from users of the Storm Cag (I'm leaning toward the Tropos Light version, as it is so much cheaper). I am thinking of something for summer touring in class 2 waters (eg: Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia), when my drysuit is overkill.

I have a couple of different paddling jackets (Kokatat, PeakUK), but find them uncomfortably warm in summer, as they are worn under the pfd and trap all my sweat. Plus, the neck seals (even the neoprene ones) are too tight to allow much breathing. Looks to me like the storm cag is roomy enough to allow more breathability, and the fact that it's worn over the pfd seems like it would make it less sweaty.

So, has anyone used a cag as their only waterproof layer for casual summer touring?

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew, I do not have any experience with the storm cag. However, perhaps you should take a closer look at their Anorak: http://kokatat.com/products/jackets/gor ... k-men.html

I have been using one for the last few years and love it. I carry it in my deck bag most of the time (unless the weather or conditions are dry-suitable, so to speak.) It is very easy to employ and it goes over the PFD. I use it around the camp as well. All in all, an excellent piece of paddling and camping equipment.

I've had the Gore-Tex cag for years now. I don't ordinarily use it as a primary layer, but as a way to solve the layering/delayering at sea problem. I use it mostly fall through spring, usually when I've paddled out to sea with my drysuit and its underlayers. Once I stop paddling to sail back, I tend to cool down, so I just pull the cag over everything, including my PFD.

I did wind up using it as a primary wind/waterproof layer for several weeks on a summer trip when my paddling jacket's seams crapped out after years of use. I was glad to have it on that rainy journey, but compared to a paddling jacket, it restricts access to your PFD pockets, it's bulky on the body and the long front makes it clumsy as a shorewear raincoat. Also, if it's for summer use, I'd upgrade to the Gore-Tex if I could possibly afford it - the increased breathability makes a significant comfort difference in warmer weather.

On the plus side, it's got Kokatat's usual superb tailoring. I hate hoods as a rule, but I don't mind wearing the one on the cag (or the ones on their drysuits) because it/they can be adjusted to turn so well with your head.

I've got the lighter one and use it as a wet/cold weather backup (kept easily accessible), rather than a regularly used piece of gear. One August while paddling in Prince William Sound on a cool drizzly day, I became chilled. Donning the cag allowed me to warm back up rather than head toward hypothermia. It's also nice to put it on for a lunch stop in the rain as the warmth from paddling wears off. I guess I consider it both comfort and safety gear.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I will certainly think more about this choice. Greg, at your prompting I did look at the anorak again and think it might serve my needs. The cag is still of interest, as is the Paclite Pull-over. So, I have some options.

Here's a typical summer scenario for me: I launch on a cool morning, but warm up enough within 20 minutes to want to strip a layer (much like a hiker does). A paddling-jacket under my pfd means that I have to land to do so. Or the reverse: paddling along comfortably, then the wind comes up and I want to add a layer. I really want something that slips over everything.

That is one of the reasons I love winter paddling. Clothing choices are simple: fleece base layers covered by a drysuit 100% of the time.

Cheers,
Andrew

AM, the yellow anorak that I use on shore during breaks I got just for that reason - something that will fit over a pfd and with a hood so I can use it for layering on the water. So far I've never used it on the water, but it makes a big difference when we stop while winter paddling and I have another layer to immediately put on. It's become part of my kit that I always take while winter paddling.

Saw this on sale:

http://www.levelsix.com/products/gaspe

Mine is Level 6 too, so I assume it's an earlier version. Next time we go paddling you're welcome to try it on, and try putting it on and off on the water, see how it feels.

WaterMark said:
while winter paddling
Wow winter paddling.... not a term we are familiar with eh Brian? How's the South Saskatchewan River? Have you been able to get out and paddle it? I will be coming to Saskatoon in April if you would like to get together.

Around here we are frozen in to oblivion. I certainly envy all of you guys as I would like to paddle more year round maybe I'll have to move westward.

Terry

I have the tropos version an love it, I don't leave without it. It's just nice to have another layer as a back up item. Again not primary but is nice to easily add a layer without removing dry top, PDF etc...
Rob

Terry: Sure, winter paddling where there is an actual winter. Haven't been out since January, though since it's been a tad chilly. Week and a half ago I was in Regina and even had my "kayak" with me: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 067&type=3
14860_665168813524835_376419748_n.jpg

I've been interested in one of the light storm cags to keep in the day hatch for the type of use described here - not to replace immersion wear but as an extra layer when the weather turns, the rain comes in, on shore, or someone in my group needs another layer. I think I would like the extra length for when waiting out a deluge on shore.

I have an older kokatat anorak I bought used and it's big enough to fit over all including PFD and I teach my students to bring a rain jacket or shell sized large enough to put over everything. But the cag or anorak designed for paddling will keep water from running down your sleeves.

Bryan

Hey folks, I thought I'd update this thread. I ended up buying the Kokatat Paclite Pullover, similar to the Anorak that Greg suggested above:

http://kokatat.com/gore-texr-pullover-men.html

I usually wear a size Large, but I bought the XL so that I could don and doff on-water over my PFD. Works great and I've used it on a couple of camping trips already, where it has really shone. Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,
Andrew

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
For anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to a $250+ kayak cagoule, here is a great video on a DIY project cag for about $20, starting with a basic large poncho, cutting it to shape your cockpit and sewing in a bungie and liner:

Back