Kyuquot August 23-28, 2021

sbourgoin

Adventures on Land and Water!
Good Morning,
Just in the process of planning a trip for a party of 4 to leave from Fair Harbour at High Tide and then out to Spring Island then up to Bunsby then possibly down to Rugged Point Marine Park. Just wondering for those that have spent some time in this area if you have any recommendations/suggestions on places to see (or not). We may spend 2 days on Spring Island and 2-3 days in Bunsby and do day trips out from there.
Thanks
Shawn

pryaker

Paddler
I'd suggest at least a day in the Cuttle islets. It's only a bit beyond the Bunsbys and is (for me at least) a fascinating place to paddle

stagger

Paddler
You’re covering a fair bit of ground there, really most of the area!

Spring Island is the must-see area AFAIC. We wished we’d spent more time around Acous. South Brooks is great for some beach-bum vibes. Don’t underestimate how rough the water can be along the south shore of Union Island — we crossed it too late in the day & got into some quite hairy conditions. The beaches south of Rugged Point are a great place to spend a couple of days, and it’s well worth taking a day “off” to hike as far as you can get down that coast. Really interesting geology. Grassy Island was a good place to visit but I wouldn’t want to camp there.

The only bit I felt underwhelmed by were the Bunsbys themselves. Decent enough, but not anything special to recommend them. The campsite on the SW-most island is very sweet, though.

it’s a great area, with lots to see and do! It has a lot of the virtues of an area like Hakai, but in a more compact & manageable “package.”Enjoy yourselves & stay safe out there!

eriktheviking

Paddler
If you are doing day trips from the Bunsbys, I would recommend visiting Battle Bay and exploring there- the latest Kimantis book describes some things to look for. I regret not spending more time there on the visit 2 years ago. Also make sure to get in a game of b-ball on Spring:
P7070095.jpeg

Gary Jacek

Paddler
We launched early on magic morning in the Bunsbies and immediately spotted a wolf pack chasing a deer across reef tops and surge channels. Minutes later we observed a mink hunting the low tide shore at the mouth of a cove. And behind it a black bear fed on bugs in the heaped kelp at the high tide line. As we took in the scene, our wolf pack, still in pursuit, traversed the beach behind the bear.

While stopping at Thomas Island is challenging, it is worth a paddle past for the gorgeous colours of that island.

South Spring Island is a good two day stop. That basketball court is nearby and two trails traverse the island.

There is a rough campsite on the large islet in Kyuquot Bay, west of White Cliff Head on Union Island. Keep that in your back pocket in case of unexpected weather on the outside of Union.

Rugged Point is worth a few days. The trails over the headlands are well marked with fishing floats and that beach is like Tofino minus the people.

Have a great trip.

sbourgoin

Adventures on Land and Water!
We had a great trip paddling from Fair Harbour out to Spring Island then onto Bunsby for a couple of days. Back to Spring for a night. Then finished at Rugged Point Marine Park...the sauna on day 6 was EPIC! Back to Fair Harbour...185km of sun, rain, fog, decent rollers and good friends! Worth the trip and would like to explore further into Brooks next time. Recommend the trip.