Large people in small boats...

Kasey

Paddler
I know this has been discussed in at least a small way before but I can't find it...a friend of mine (and he's in Ontario so can't come in to see any of you fellas that work in shops) has canoed lots but is interested in trying out kayaking (since I am always going on and on about it!). He is doubtful about fitting into any though - he is 6'5", 280 lb. and has size 13 feet! What do you think? Are they any that would fit him comfortably and if so which ones should he be looking for? Thanks!
Kathy

Astoriadave

Paddler
Kathy, there are several boats that might fit him. It may be not so much the 280 lbs, depending on where he carries it, as the size thirteens!

Does he want a hardshell? He might be happier in a folder. Folbot, for example, sells "open cockpit" folders. I suspect their Yukon might do the job. Their double (Greenland II) is often paddled solo by larger folks.

Often, larger folks need more stretching room, and prefer open cockpit boats.

waverider

Paddler
Well I can't comment on the 280 lbs part but I myself am 6'9 with size 13 feet as well and I have a Inukshuck by Boreal and I find it to be just fine, I wish the back off the seat was a bit higher.
The only time the size of the feet play a part is when I wear both aqua socks and booties at the same time but I still manage as I always have ( some minor adjustments of the foot paddles are all I need to do)

So there you go, hope this helps a little.
Mark

greg0rn

Paddler
I, with 6'5" and 220 lbs frame, recently traded my hard shell for an open cockpit folding Klondike. BIG difference in ease of getting in and out, stability, etc. On the minus side, the kayak is somehow slower, but I still can keep up with hard shellers, that I paddle with all the time. It was the right thing to do for me!

Of course, Klondike is a small double, or fairly large single kayak, narrow and light. Other double open cockpits, like Klepper II, Long Haul Mark II, Folbot Greenland II would be too difficult to paddle singly and match other boats' speed.

jurgenk

Paddler
Hey Kathy, when I was searching around a few years ago looking at Impex boats I found this site which is now no longer but it has been archived. It contained a bunch of information about boats and gear for the larger paddler but I do not know how current it is. Impex, which I believe are manufactured in Ontario, produces the Currituck and, if memory serves, it was mentioned as a possiblility. As always test paddling, or at least sitting in the boat, will give the best possible indication of its fit and suitability.

Brad