• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Level Six Cronos Drysuit 6-Month Review

I think double-layer seats are probably a better bet for 'breathable fabric' suits.
Agreed - I'd go a step further and say it's a 'must have' on any drysuit I'd consider. A single layer seat gets ruled out right out of the gate for me.

And not drysuit related (but kinda), the Helly Hansen 'Abbotsford' line of rain gear is super light, rubber-coated, tough, easy to wear and 100% waterproof. It's my go-to beach wear for those rainy days in camp (bib pants and jacket).

I decided to take a DIY approach with my Cronos. Last week I modified the sleeve ends, and that improved the wet arms situation a lot. There's no liquid water inside the sleeves now, just a bit of dampness from sweat condensation and perhaps a bit of water getting past the gaskets.
mini-IMG_1085.JPGmini-IMG_1083.JPG

Today I fired up the sewing machine again and added a layer of 'real' GoreTex to the seat. Hopefully that will reduce the water getting through the seat fabric. It's a bit awkward sewing in the seat/legs area of a drysuit. I was muttering :) about the L6 decision to save a dollar or two by not doubling the fabric when they had the suit built.
mini-IMG_1084.JPGmini-IMG_1081.JPG
Having GoreTex (and GoreTex iron-on seam sealing tape) on hand makes this sort of job a lot easier.

I admire your ingenuity (and stubborn streak!). I'm guessing most people would just cut their losses, sell it for what you get, and move on.

This is probably the time to throw in that time-worn cliché "you get what you pay for", but I'd never resort to that ;)

Your overall tenacity and skill with a sewing machine is a marvel. I can just about imagine how awkward that must have been.

Hopefully your perseverance pays off and you are no longer are a man of constant sorrow as a soggy bottom boy.

I admire your ingenuity (and stubborn streak!). I'm guessing most people would just cut their losses, sell it for what you get, and move on.
Thanks. It's more amusing to keep it as a project suit. It's not worth much as 'Leaking suit for sale'
This is probably the time to throw in that time-worn cliché "you get what you pay for", but I'd never resort to that ;)
As I mentioned, I've had Kokatat suits, and they wet through, and I got terrible service from them on top of that. So they will never see my money again. I'm not about to spend $2k on a Kokatat suit and then ship it back every year for 'service' - which is pretty common.

Last edited:
Hopefully your perseverance pays off and you are no longer are a man of constant sorrow as a soggy bottom boy.
:)
Even with water coming through the seat of a drysuit, it's a lot drier than a wetsuit!
I don't feel too sorry for myself. I posted my experiences so that perhaps a few others may not repeat the saga. :)
And, other users have had better luck with their Cronos suits than I have; perhaps I got one that was made with bad fabric.
I don't think the odds are good that my product review would make it on to the L6 website, so this will have to do. :)

Reactions: CPS
I think the seat of any drysuit could be made (or layered) with waterproof fabric vs. breathable. How much air exchange really happens in such a relatively small area, especially when it's sandwiched between the seat and one's butt when the exertion is taking place?

Reactions: CPS
I think the seat of any drysuit could be made (or layered) with waterproof fabric vs. breathable. How much air exchange really happens in such a relatively small area, especially when it's sandwiched between the seat and one's butt when the exertion is taking place?
I agree. I used GoreTex for the added layer because that's what I had on hand. Coated pack cloth or something similar would work well.

Yes. And now we have come back to our previous discussion of a hybrid suit — waterproof in areas that can never breathe anyway and breathable in other areas. I would push the waterproof areas to: socks, seat, shoulder, forearms.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reading all these issues with dry suit leaks has actually eased my disappointment with my L6 Emperor suit somewhat. After only being worn about 12-15 times, the feet began leaking, leaving me with very damp cold feet. It’s not the current version but the previous one without the internal waist belt under the tunnel, It’s about 4 years old, I got in on a Black Friday sale for $800 Canadian plus taxes. I sent it back to L6 and they said they fixed a few leaking spots throughout the suit. This thing was still like brand new, very disappointing. I guess they don’t leak test them at the factory. I had turned the suit inside out and filled the legs with water and you could see the water leaking through at the taped seams on the feet. At that time they told me the turn around time on repair was about 6 months. Just when Covid started. Unfortunately I tried to fix the leaking seams myself with seam sealer, so L6 was not able to fully re tape all areas, my feet are still damp but not wet. $2000 for Kokatat and NRS is just a bit ridiculous. That’s a good bit of money toward a new boat. I have heard that if you sit in a puddle of water with Gortex pants on eventually the pressure forces the water through the fabric. It’s reassuring and disappointing to hear that other brands have failures as well and one has to wonder if the reviews on some of these products aren’t filtered by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
eased my disappointment
These should not be words you use when describing your (relatively) new drysuit - especially given that the Emperor is definitely not an entry-level model. Disappointing to see the bar set so low.

I agree that the current ~2k pricing for a new suit is prohibitive, but you can sometimes find some good deals in the local buy and sell or gear swaps. Over the past few years I've picked up a couple of near-new suits for less than half the cost of new. As with anything, your results may vary....

a_c you are correct I was ******* PO and still am, I think their seam tape is junk. That new with leaks in the feet, torso and one arm they said. Not impressed at all.

Last edited:
I think their seam tape is junk. Not impressed at all.
If the temperature on the taping machine isn't correct, the tape adhesive won't be properly melted. I recall L6 mentioning this issue some time in the past. Anyway, as you say, unacceptable. If I see tape peeling up when I check the inside of the suit, sometimes it can be 're-stuck' with a household iron. This seems to be a particular issue with the round patches at the seam intersections. It's a bit hard to find but you can buy authentic GoreTex seam tape and it's useful to have on hand for repairs at home - just mark the leaks with a sharpie (on the inside of the suit) and then iron on a piece of tape. For emergency repairs, Aquaseal is probably the best option, but it does make subsequent repair difficult. For the feet/sox I wouldn't hesitate to put Aquaseal on the outside - not too much and work it into the seam and threads. And, 'baby' those socks - even a small pebble inside a shoe, or stepping on a twig will put a pinhole in them.

..... you can sometimes find some good deals in the local buy and sell or gear swaps. .......
Yes, especially if you are happy to replace gaskets (seaskin.co.uk is a good source) you can sometimes get good deals on suits that have been 'sitting in a closet' for a few (or many) years. But the prices on used Kokatat suits seem to have kept pace with the inflation in the new suit prices, unfortunately. (Downside of the internet allowing price checking...)

Sadly, I have to add my own experience of leaking to John’s tale of woe. I have a Level Six Odin drysuit, bought in 2020 and used sparingly since then. It has a very strange combination of fabric in the crotch area to accommodate the pockets. Here’s the outside view:

9277ED5A-0C6B-47C8-92C6-6AD6D00ED143.jpeg

Notice those pocket zippers on either side. Those are important, as I’ll explain below. Now here is the inside view of the same area. We see here the infamous contour-line pattern of the 2.5 layer fabric that has been a problem for John:

657D4F9B-2994-406F-846A-785B908371B5.jpeg

Now I’ve used this drysuit for kayaking only until a couple of days ago, when I did a day trip in my canoe in pretty heavy rain. After 2 hours I was getting wet: my shoulders and forearms were very damp and I was even feeling wetness in my armpits. As many of us have observed, drysuits do not really hold up to heavy rain. But imagine my surprise when suddenly I felt a trickle of cold water down my left leg! This was not just dampness in my lap (though there was plenty of that!) but actual flowing water.

The culprit? I had left my left pocket open. Water collected inside the pocket and eventually forced its way through that same crappy 2.5 layer fabric that John identified. I have never experienced this particular problem before because I had only used the suit in a kayak, where a sprayskirt kept my lower half relatively dry. But in the open canoe, with lap exposed to the heavens, I found out the flaw in this fabric.

At this point I was in danger of getting cold — not from immersion, but from sitting in a wet suit exposed to the wind. So I did what I’ve done in the past — I reached into my kit bag a got out a super cheap Frogg Toggs poncho, which kept the wind off and the heat in. And I was left thinking again, “Why do I need a $20 poncho for a $1K suit?”

I hate complaining about a Canadian company, but not as much as I hate being wet!

Cheers,
Andrew

Back