• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Life Paddle Partner

Swiftmanm

Hey Folks!

Been following some discussion on here and thought I would jump in today. I have been paddling a sea kayak for about 3 years now and put my boat into bodies of water all over Canada. Last summer I got another boat and encouraged my wife to join me on our local lake. Well she loved it and we invested in 2 boats (Delta 15s and 16) this last winter. It is our anniversary today (28 years) and I am so thankful for someone to share this passion and life with. Here is a picture of her on a beautiful lake, in a beautiful boat, with a beautiful smile. If you are up to it, post a pic of you and your paddling partner.
20210728_133437.jpg
20210729_221554.jpg

My partner built her own sea kayak, the first of that design. She was using one of mine until she finished her one. Once finished and tested, a 9 day trip was the first time it got wet, I took to selling the plans.
The first picture was taken on the first trip.

Reactions: CPS
Congratulations on your 28th anniversary Swiftmanm, I wish I could make it half that far.

I guess I haven't met an adventurous enough woman yet. None who would dare try a real kayak.

Great pics @Swiftmanm and thanks for sharing. You two look very happy in your element. Congratulations!

I count myself as super fortunate that my fiancé and I share the same passions including sea kayaking. Over the last three years we've become kayak junkies and love the challenges of different courses, rolling, camping trips but mostly enjoying all the beauty that comes with being on the ocean. We even got engaged while kayaking :)

Cheers to all who share the love of paddling!
ds2.jpeg

Congratulations on your 28th anniversary Swiftmanm, I wish I could make it half that far.

I guess I haven't met an adventurous enough woman yet. None who would dare try a real kayak.

Thanks sofstu! Yes I do consider myself lucky although the adventurous thing is still growing on her. I think next summer we will get to overnight in bear country. That will be a challenge for her!

Great pics @Swiftmanm and thanks for sharing. You two look very happy in your element. Congratulations!

I count myself as super fortunate that my fiancé and I share the same passions including sea kayaking. Over the last three years we've become kayak junkies and love the challenges of different courses, rolling, camping trips but mostly enjoying all the beauty that comes with being on the ocean. We even got engaged while kayaking :)

Cheers to all who share the love of paddling!
View attachment 10763
Yes there is nothing like being out on the water and to share it with someone else! Have fun!

Congrats! I gave up on finding a lifelong paddling partner, I envy you. I’m thrilled that you know how fortunate you are though. I am thankful for the paddling friends I have, and the paddling groups like SISKA, PIKA and SKABC that have allowed me to continue my passion. One day I might even try solo paddling.

marika726, I recommend solo paddling in small doses. It makes everything more real. There is no, “If I forget something my partner will have it.” If you drop your paddle or let go of your boat, there is no, “My partner will get it for me.” For me, there’s this little anxiety feeling, no matter how prepared I am. But I’m sure that’s because I’m so far from ocean water that I only get out once or twice a year. I know that feeling, unwarranted, would go away with more solo exposure. That doesn’t mean I’d become careless. It just means there’d be more of a “calm” so situations would be evaluated more accurately.

So get out there alone (in small doses). Maybe have a friend on shore as you venture out in a lake. Then do your self rescue (out of the boat or do a roll). If falling out of the boat and getting back in becomes “play”, it won’t be so debilitating if it happens … not on purpose.

Congrats! I gave up on finding a lifelong paddling partner, I envy you. I’m thrilled that you know how fortunate you are though. I am thankful for the paddling friends I have, and the paddling groups like SISKA, PIKA and SKABC that have allowed me to continue my passion. One day I might even try solo paddling.
I tried solo paddling first and found that I would point something out to the person that was not there. I am lucky that we have spent enough time together to not feel the pressure of being "with" someone.

No pics from this summer, didn't get out much unfortunately. Here is one from last year that my son took of my wife and I on a four day trip. The purple boat is a Avocet RM and the orange one is a Scorpio HV.
BigandSmall.JPG

Last edited:
Back