Long Video With More Than One Lesson

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Can anybody ID the kayak?
Rather be Hiking kayak.JPG

'I'd Rather Be Hiking' mentioned that the hatch covers had gaskets not separate neoprene covers.

Note absence of perimeter lines.

red kite

Paddler
Can anybody ID the kayak?
View attachment 10853

'I'd Rather Be Hiking' mentioned that the hatch covers had gaskets not separate neoprene covers.

Note absence of perimeter lines.
My guess would be a Lightspeed / Extreme Interface (lettering at 15:48) Phantom with a modified rudder? Either my search skills are abysmal, or there are essentially no pictures to be found for this kayak model.

I thought I was clever and zoomed in on the blue double on the beach - that is actually somebody else's light blue Libra XT...

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
HIghlights from Episode 1:
50L of water in the center compartment.
Lots of shots of barnacles and oysters, but they failed to make the connection between those (and the cold water environment) and their clothing and footwear choices. When they got to the rocky shore after the flooding episode they had quite a lot of cuts and abrasions.
rather be hiking clothing.JPG

rather be hiking clothing 2.JPG

rather be hiking footwear.JPG

The 'barefoot' thing seems to be a common impulse. Last fall an acquaintance brought a teenager along on a day paddle to Discovery and Chatham Is. here in Victoria. Teen refused to don footwear of any kind. I won't let that happen again and regret not taking a firmer stand on that day.

nootka

Paddler
The declined comment was my own fault - I wasn't a member of that particular hiking group and didn't realize it.

Facebook could have given me a more informative message.

Mac50L

Paddler
One thing I notice is his lack of understanding of English. A bulkhead is a wall and is fitted between compartments. A bulkhead doesn't hold water, it holds it back... if it doesn't leak.

From the diagrams it appears the bulkheads fitted to his kayak were actually sieves, not walls.

Spray (sprayskirt) is what comes off waves and rain comes out of the sky.

As for footwear, yes I usually go barefoot but then I'm not in barnacle country. Wearing a sprayskirt? It was a year or 3 before I ever got one for my kayak. Those little waves in the film wouldn't have been noticed by my kayak, simply would have ridden over them. Even my double would probably have stayed dry.

Broken rudder - when you build your own you know how to fix them. I didn't think much of that pump he had, barely moved any water.

Question - how much time on the water had they ever done before that trip? At his age I would have had a couple (3?) or more decades at sea so tend to know it is wet.

red kite

Paddler
Now, @Mac50L , you really need to stop being soooo mean to those poor, poor, poor guys!
{/sarcasm}

I have yet to touch a Lightspeed double, but, looking at John's still and further footage of the broken rudder, it seems to me that this kayak originally had the under stern rudder (that lighter blue disk would take the cable to the steering post). If you look closely, that block pin of the (Seaward?) rudder is mounted right at the stern, with no flat spot to slide on that you would likely see if it was an intentional design. While that pin block, mounted on a standard north american style stern, could still be broken if you ram that blade into a rock backwards (and/or twist it sideways), I think that void for the under mount rudder might have allowed for even more torque to sheer it off.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I agree with @red kite that the rudder was a 'later addition' to the kayak - and not very well done.

It's not clear to me what the repairs involved - what is the purpose of the wire lashing?
rather be hiking rudder 1JPG.JPG

rather be hiking rudder 2.JPG

rather be hiking rudder 3.JPG

Anyway, a definite 'tip of the hat' from me to the other paddlers who got the duo on their way.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Has to be none.
At 15:19 of episode 2 "We didn't know how high the tide was going to come up" as the video shows an obvious high tide line on a rock face.
There you go again...decreasing the dramatic interest and suspense in the film! :thumbsdown::eek:

"Remember it took 36 hours to edit this film, so please give a thumbs up and subscribe! No negative comments; I'm still traumatized!!!"

red kite

Paddler
I agree with @red kite that the rudder was a 'later addition' to the kayak - and not very well done.

It's not clear to me what the repairs involved - what is the purpose of the wire lashing?
View attachment 10863
View attachment 10864
View attachment 10865

Anyway, a definite 'tip of the hat' from me to the other paddlers who got the duo on their way.
Fairly sure that the block itself did not withstand the torque and cracked around the pin... It's the weak spot to begin with: The stainless pin is pressed into the acetal block which in turn has all the groves to guide the release cord and the 3 holes to attach to the cage. I've seen old, uv damaged blocks fail from small incidents in way less dramatically narrated stories.

So the wire would pull and keep the two parts of the block together.

Last edited: