• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

looking for a S3 resin pump

Doug

Paddler
I sort of screwed up the pump on my resin bottle so I need to get a new one. But then I was thinking that maybe someone has used System Three epoxy and doesn't plan on doing any more epoxy work. It's not a big deal I think I can buy a new pair for $15 but I thought I'd check anyways. I'm in Vancouver.

cheers

I'm in east Van, by trout lake (13th and Victoria)

No more boat building for you in the near future?

I finally got around to having a poke around the garage. I must have turfed those pumps - sorry! I had all my 'extra' bits from the build in a box, but a bit of spare epoxy leaked out and made a mess of everything so I must have just thrown out the whole mess instead of cleaning it up.

Nope, I can't see building another boat any time soon. Not that I didn't enjoy it - I'd build another in a heartbeat but don't have the cash to buy another kit, and I already have two great boats and don't see a need for a third any time soon.

I would think just about every marine store that sells epoxy should have pumps that will work. Most all of the commercially available epoxy kits are designed to be mixed 2:1

RoyN said:
I would think just about every marine store that sells epoxy should have pumps that will work. Most all of the commercially available epoxy kits are designed to be mixed 2:1
You can get the ratios correct, but it is a hassle to get the pumps to fit the jugs the epoxy comes in. Best to keep the jugs sealed up, which the purpose-made pumps do. I made the mistake of thinking some WEST system pumps would fit my S3 jugs: Not! Had to return the WEST pumps.

Might be easier to weigh the stuff out, if you can't find a suitable pump. Or, us a syringe to replace the lost pump (on the hardener: part B). Just drill a tight-fitting hole in the lid of the jug, and do your delivieries by volume based on the good pump (in the bisphenolA: part A), and run the syringe to half the pump volume, pulling it to the mark you need with the jug inverted, and detaching the syringe out as you turn the jug right side up again. Much easier to do than to describe.

I usually weigh epoxy batches but the pumps are simply the best way to actually dispense the resin and hardener. I was thinking about going to the dollar store to pick up a couple of squeeze bottles that I would use for intermediate storage. Pour from the big jugs to the smaller bottles and dispense from there.

I don't actually mind spending the $15 for pumps, I thought I'd try the old reuse and recycle instead of more consumption. It's time to get the show on the road though, so I'll drive out to Industrial Plastics today.

Mark - thanks for looking for your old pumps!

d.

Back