• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Looking for Double Vision, Current Designs

Slanger

Paddler
I'm searching for a second hand Current Designs Double Vision. Or other small double kayak to paddle with my young daughter. I'm located on Salt Spring. Thanks!

That is a small double:
DoubleVision.jpg

Is it just for day paddles? I know there are a bunch of double sitontops that are quite small, and if it is just for short trips, might even be safer in regards to getting back on if problems arise.

Thanks for the reply, Mick: I am looking for a touring sea kayak, for 3-5 day trips. With spray skirt for each cockpit, but no centre hatch,
-sonia

If I knew such a kayak existed, I'd be tempted too. I like the benefits of having the second paddler closer. But the weight and length (think, "storage problems") of a traditional double keep them out of range. We tried a double once on a demo day and with even a little wind, we could hardly hear each other. It would require some practice getting back in if tipped and coordination in paddling. But how cool if you worked out the steps to both roll up at once.

If I were starting out with someone beginning to learn the camping/packing/paddling skills, a small kayak like this would be a starting place worth considering. The idea of "safety" with two boats is one can provide aid if the other is in trouble. But the reality in my case is, one of the two paddlers is ill-equipped to be of much assistance. In that case, having both in the same boat is worth considering.

or pull along a 'gear pod'. But the short idea is intriguing to play around with - here's a 16'-10" x 30" s&g schematic:

Sedulous16-10views.jpg

and could push it down from there too, but paddling coordination or an non paddling partner would be necessary.

If price, wt, and slighly larger size was no object, the delta 17.5 looks like a decent choice in that low range, would give slightly more gear options.
DeltaTraverse175.jpg

Spending some time at a site like Delta's which provides info on stowage compartment volumes can be interesting.
The Traverse has 47 gallons of stowage for two people on a trip.
Stowage specs for a couple of 'single' kayaks from Delta:
Delta 16- 52.5 gallons
Delta 12.10 - 42.3 gallons

That difference in stowage volume per person also reflects the different buoyancy 'per person' that a double provides.
Some doubles can be very 'low in the water' if the cockpits get flooded.
(See the Broken Group exploits of YouTube hero ' I'd rather be Hiking ' for a real life consequence of the buoyancy issue. :) )

Reactions: CPS
One thing that I find a little unfortunate about may of these smaller doubles is that they often don't have a bulkhead between the two cockpits, so if one floods, it all floods.
The Delta 17.5 falls under their "Touring" lineup, which I usually consider appropriate for an overnight or weekend trip. Still, two people essentially sharing the storage space of a regular single kayak.

Of course, their website says "STORAGE FOR WEEKS" which I find pretty hard to believe, particularly when it says "no need to resort to freeze-dried food packs and energy bars for meals." Marketing.

Even my tired old eyes could read, "Weight 70 lbs." On a set of barbells, not much of a problem. Spread over a 17.5 ft kayak, I'd rather not. That's one of the reasons why we have two singles instead of a double.

Weren't floating storage pods covered in another post recently? I thought I saw one where the buoyancy was adjusted so just a fin was out of the water, flowing the back of your boat. We all know the accompanying sound.

sorry, the gear pod comment above [and my 'sealpup'pod design and previous threads] are for humour.

I'm searching for a second hand Current Designs Double Vision. Or other small double kayak to paddle with my young daughter. I'm located on Salt Spring. Thanks!
Helo -- I have a CD Double Vision we bought for the same reason. Now that the kids are grown we don't use it much. If you are still interested, let me know. Getting it to you may be a bit tricky given the season and COVID, but we could figure something out! (I'm in Bellingham, in WA).

Helo -- I have a CD Double Vision we bought for the same reason. Now that the kids are grown we don't use it much. If you are still interested, let me know. Getting it to you may be a bit tricky given the season and COVID, but we could figure something out! (I'm in Bellingham, in WA).

Hello Eric Steig, I am indeed interested in your boat. Could you send some photos and some more details? I wonder how to get the boat up here? thanks

Back