• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Looking for Greenland paddle instruction, Victoria, BC

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
Hi all. Can anyone provide any contact info to learn proper Greenland paddling techniques here in Victoria, BC? It could be either an upcoming formal training session (such as through SISKA, etc) or informal one-on-one in Cadboro Bay, Elk Lake, Sidney or somewhere nearby.

In transitioning from a euro-blade I'm looking to avoid bringing over either poor or improper techniques so I can exploit the GP capabilities in terms of strokes, leans, maybe rolling styles to add to the basic one I have at the moment. Perhaps this is an opportunity for a number of local paddlers to learn how best to use their GP. Thanks!

Your best bet is going to be James Manke, who can (a) roll really well (b) use a Greenland Paddle at Surge Narrows. Lots of people can give you basic instruction, but James is an expert.

Your best bet is going to be James Manke, who can (a) roll really well (b) use a Greenland Paddle at Surge Narrows. Lots of people can give you basic instruction, but James is an expert.
Thanks very much nootka. Do you know his username or how to get in touch? I can pass along my contact info in a PM if that is more suitable as well. Cheers.

As usual, Google has the answer.

Perfecto! I'll definitely take in his upcoming rolling clinic. Thanks again!

This guy is a very good source of instruction and he has a good small growing community.

He has online courses through video and an excellent online community.
Also he has coaching out in Victoria, B.C.

Last edited:
Redcedar- Thanks for posting those video links.
After watching the second video, at 0'39", I don't feel so bad about poling off the bottom when blowing rolls in shallow water! :)

Sometimes one can pick up things from the olden ;) days

Thanks Redcedar! These are fantastic archival videos that I'll add to my collection. It's inspiring to see the results of thousands of years of expertise from the Inuit.

I was fortunate enough to meet and take a course with James Manke last month where he taught some core skills for Greenland rolling and paddling. Hoping to hone those skills over the rest of the year and into 2021. With a lot of talented paddlers, builders and instructors nearby, there's a deep pool of talent to learn from.

Back