Looking for South Puget Sound Birding trip

cougarmeat

Paddler
I'd like to meet a birding friend from Seattle for a paddle in the southern puget sound area north of Olympia. I recall there being a popular area where you shove off on an outgoing tide, spend the day paddling, and come back on an incoming tide. It would be handly if there were a some camp area nearby. The woman folk has requested picnic table and toilet if available - i.e. State Park facility.

I'm sure there are posts in here covering that area. I couldn't find the right combination of keywords to put in the Search to find them. I do have some tour books so if you know there's a good trip described in one of them, I might have that title.

What are the usual routes in the area?

Also, I do understand that Trip Reports is usually about trips taken. So I was torn between posting my request here or in the General Forum. If the moderator feels it belongs in General, please move it for me and I'll know next time.

alexsidles

Paddler
Paul, the business with the tides sounds like you’re taking about Nisqually Nat’l Wildlife Refuge. It is indeed one of the prime birding destinations in the south sound. Mid-May is a little late for shorebirds and waterfowl but good for flycatchers and warblers. You might actually do better on land than on water this time of year, if birding is the main goal. But, if birding is more like an excuse to go kayaking, then you’ll have a great trip.

The launch point for Nisually is the Luhr Boat Ramp. A Washington State Discover Pass is required but not sold on site. Some of the sporting goods stores nearby sell it; pick it up on your way in. Other than Luhr, there’s nowhere to land a kayak inside the wildlife refuge. For outhouse and picnic table, you should paddle across to Anderson Island. There you’ll find a lovely beach with picnic table and an inconvenient outhouse way up the hill to the south. Anderson Island has one of my favorite short interpretive trails, which will also provide your friend her chance to find those warblers and fkycatchers. Here’s a trip report:

Alex

cougarmeat

Paddler
Alex and dvfrggr, thank you - that’s what I was looking for. And thank you for the WSDP requirement. I am so used to pulling up to a launch point at takin off. But how is that different from paddling from Orcas to Jones and just paying the daily camp fee? Or staying at Moran park on Orcas?

That is, if the Discover Pass required in the car for overnight parking at the launch point? I’ll look into it.