• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Looking for storgage facility

Morkaleb

I'm looking for somewhere to store my Kayak, it's too big for my apartment, I right now have it at my dad's out in surrey, which is a pain in the ass since I live in vancouver and all the water I want to paddle in is in the opposite direction from surrey.

i/ve seen kayak racks at some of the local sailing clubs. maybe if you called some of them up you might find one that's semi under cover and doesn't cost too much per month.

alternatives would be to cut yr yak (if composite) into a 3pc sectional - (there are building instructions out there) and just pack it into the apt.

or buy a small ww yak and just accept that you'll go a little more slowly(that's what i do mostly) but have other dimensions to fool with. day trips only, but good exercise.

or make one of the yost folders. cheap, great lines, quick/easy to build and will store in the bottom of yr closet.
http://yostwerks.com/

hi there,
if you need help cutting your boat apart--let me know :lol: :D i have the same problem as you (living in a apartment) but i still have storage in the basement. i had the boats in the livingroom for a wile but the cured resin (boat is about 2 years old) still stinks like hell.
let me know if you need help.
http://takeapartkayak02.blogspot.com/
take%20apart%20kayak%20013.jpg

Sorry no idea what they charge. i remember being there this summer when looking at this kayak a guy had for sale.

I've seen a sign advertising kayak storage at the English Bay Boathouse -- it's right near the guys who rent the kayaks (accessible from the sidewalk by the beach). Sorry, I have no idea what the rental space costs -- a few years ago, it was 30 bucks a month but it might be more now.

Morkaleb said:
I'm looking for somewhere to store my Kayak, it's too big for my apartment, I right now have it at my dad's out in surrey, which is a pain in the ass since I live in vancouver and all the water I want to paddle in is in the opposite direction from surrey.

Wherever you choose to store your boat, make sure it is nailed down 6 ways from Sunday.

I had mine secured with 2 stainless cables and two differently keyed locks and it still developed legs.

And more importantly ... make sure it is insured. Luckily mine was and I'm now waiting for the insurance co to settle.

Back