• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

MEC TGV Tent

jurgenk said:
I just did as well as my old MEC Pingo was simply taking up too much space (that is how I am explaining it to myself anyway, the real reason is that I was on the internet and bored :) ).
Hmm, we'll have to plan another Indian Arm trip and we'll look like a club with our matching tents :p

Hmm, we'll have to plan another Indian Arm trip and we'll look like a club with our matching tents
As attributed to Groucho Marx: "I would not want to be a part of a group that would have me as a member". :wink:

Is it better than the Spalding Dave?

I haven't had a chance to field test it yet but it's very well made. Being 4 season it will be great for fall and winter camping. The spalding will likely still be used in the summer I'm thinking. Now the search for a nice small sleeping bag :p My winter bag takes up too much room and when were on Discovery Island I was acutally way too hot in it.

Here are a few that I've been looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUISSE-SPORT-ALP...2579QQcategoryZ111260QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUISSE-SPORT-ADV...18146QQcategoryZ36116QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I've had opportunity to spend three nights in my TGV and so far I've been impressed with it -- it's well constructed, sets up fairly easy, and packs up very small. I haven't had a chance to use the tent in the rain or high wind yet, but considering that we're moving into the rainy season, I suspect a wet weather test will be coming soon.

I did have one of the four way cool (and very light) Easton tent pegs come apart so I went back to MEC and they replaced it with no questions asked. I then proceeded to purchase a half dozen more of those same way cool Easton pegs ($2 each) and got rid of the somewhat cheesy looking silver aluminum wire pegs that came with the tent.

The bit about the pegs is good to know Dan, when I was down at MEC I bought a bunch of snow stakes and alumimum pegs but they did not have any of the Easton ones. I will have to see how the ones that come with the tent perform (not necessarily high-tech pieces of gear but important nonetheless).

I am looking for the same sort of bag Dave. Mine is just too big for the boat even with the compression bag like you have. I was going to look for a cheap down bag that I could use my little overbag with but the one you have linked looks very nice and small for a synthetic.

Just magically turning wants into needs... :wink:

Got the tent last week and tried it out last night as I walked down to a local bay and slept on the beach. Did not read the instructions and set it up in the dark and it went up quite easily although the fly gave me some trouble. The older MEC Pingo that I have had fastex buckles to attach and tension the fly while the TGV uses grommets and the pole framework. I could not attach the back two grommets as it seemed stretched too tight (I used the "looser" grommet on the other four that I was able to hook).

Also, I found the "Grip-Tip's" helped in setting it up solo but made the take-down a little more difficult (especially in sand as the pole ends tended to foul). I really liked it as it packs up a lot smaller then my old one, and all I need now is to read the instructions and make a footprint for it. They make mention of a custom-made footprint in the instructions but MEC does not advertise it. I would echo Dan's points about it being roomy for one, but it would be snug for two. All in all, I like it, I like it a lot... :wink:

I've now had 5 nights in mine and can't complain. I've had two of those nights with some heavy rain and I stayed completely dry (and that's what it's about, isn't it?).

If (and when) you read the manual, you'll see that it states to use the outer grommets when the tent is new. And yes, the Grip-Tips seem to work very well. I find that the little connector at the top of the two longer poles makes the tent a bit harder to take down -- but I'm getting used to it and can now stop the tent from slipping away from me when I release one end.

I haven't seen a pre-made footprint for this tent at MEC -- but then, I probably wouldn't spend $30 or so dollars for something that I can make for a couple bucks anyway. I used a piece of blue tarp that I had around the house and cut the sheet to extend into the vestible.

I like my TGV a lot as well. And it looks pretty darned cool too. :wink:

jurgenk said:
I could not attach the back two grommets as it seemed stretched too tight (I used the "looser" grommet on the other four that I was able to hook).

I've had a few MEC tents that use the 'grip tip' ends, and find that they do work well, but I've also encountered the same problem. The fit on the tent seems fine, but it makes for a very tight set-up on the fly. With the North Wind, I've discovered a little trick to it. If you go around the tent and attach the fly to the tip ends in a certain order, it seems much easier to set up. Basically, I attach every other one, then go around in reverse order and set up the remaining ends. That's a simplified description... but on the NorthWind there are also 8 grip tip ends to attach whereas I think the TGV has 6(?).

Also, I found the "Grip-Tip's" helped in setting it up solo but made the take-down a little more difficult (especially in sand as the pole ends tended to foul).

That's also true. But depending on what you've set the tent up on, just blowing on them usually frees up enough clogged material to allow you to release the poles from the grommets. Overall, it's a pretty good setup - and much easier to use than the system on my new Sierra Designs MeteorLight, which uses a solid aluminum end with oversized grommets, where the ends will easily pop out of the grommet while you're setting it all up.

Thanks for the tips boys... Read the instructions, and I will have to try next time doing it in a different order. And as you say Dan, the important thing to remember is that you are dry in the morning and that I was. For $270 it is a very nice and well-made tent and, once I use it a bit more, I will be even more well pleased.

Dan_Millsip said:
Anyone have any experience with the 4 season TGV tent?
I have a Chinese knock off of the original Chinese TGV. It's a good tent but for one flaw. Once you've set it up and laided out your sleeping pad and bag you have to crawl over your bedding to get in and out. Mine's one of the small versions. This isn't a problem if your hiking in the desert but for me paddling in the ocean I always seemed to be dragging lots of wet stuff right over where I wanted to sleep.

I solved the problem by consigning the tent to our museum of tents and I bought a side entrance tent. Now my bedding is layed out on one side and I use the other side for peeling out of wet suits, wet dry suits and everything else that I wear that always seems to get wet. I've used it year round and I'm happy.

Can't remember the tent name maybe it was a "Wind River." Anyway I bought it at Capital Iron. It was a floor model and I got it for about $100 off the list price.

Glock

I have had no problem keeping wet stuff (or dry stuff) from my feet out of the tent (that's the reason for the vestible). Maybe I differ from most, but it's never been a problem for me with any tent.

I certainly wouldn't categorize the entrance to this tent as a "flaw". If you look around at other dedicated four season tents, you'll find that the front entrance is fairly common among them (I believe this is because it makes the tents structurally stronger).

I've now used the tent 6-7 times and have grown to like it a fair bit -- it's easy and fast to set up and it does exactly what it's intended to do -- remain rock steady in high winds and keeps water out while providing a well-ventilated environment.

So far, I've been very happy with the TGV.

Back