MSR Dromedary or Dromolite Bags

AM

Paddler
MEC carried these for a little while and I bought a handful to replace the lids on my Nalgene bottles and MSR Droms. The rubberized grips open/close better than the OEM lids, seal better too, and I like that you have the options of using the small opening or large opening: https://humangear.ca/products/capcap
Wow, thanks for that tip! All their products look really cool.

Cheers,
Andrew

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
The Nalgene cap replacement would give a solid cap while traveling and could be replaced with a spigot cap once in camp.
That's what I do. I'm pretty paranoid about having my drinking water leak away if conditions are dry. That's one of the (few) good things about rain - it removes any stress about drinking water supply! :)

YYJ Paddler

Paddler
Thanks all. The Cantene bags look interesting, though I wish that they had a bigger version. I guess that I will get a 10L MSR and hope that I get a not-bad-tasting version! Then for this trip, at least, I can add some of my smaller containers to make up the difference. On my last trip I just used bought 4L water bottles and it worked OK as well! Maybe get one of the Cantene's if I see one around to try it.

Thanks for the advice.

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
I've used the MSR bags for overnight hikes in the past and yeah, the taste is pretty awful - like water treated with purification tablets. What I will say for them is that my two have endured a few decades of heavy use, however I did see a friend's old one fail on a trip.

Wanting to find a dromedary that didn't foul the taste, a local store recommended the Sea-to-Summit 'PACK TAP'. It's a two part system that has a silver inner bag surrounded by a tougher nylon carry bag. The manager said they've never had a return from a broken inner bag. Dubious, but slightly reassured from their year-long warranty, I decided to put a couple of them through the ringer, meaning not being too caring of them sliding over rocks, hanging from trees, poked, prodded, squashed with other gear, etc. to see if they lasted.

The verdict? After three years of heavy use of camping along rugged BC coastlines on about 25+ trips by now, they are holding their own. They're super light, come in various sizes, and best of all the water has no aftertaste. I've found 2x 10L bags work great for extended trips. I hope that helps!
PackTap_6L_2048x.progressive.jpg

chodups

Paddler
I've used the MSR bags for overnight hikes in the past and yeah, the taste is pretty awful - like water treated with purification tablets. What I will say for them is that my two have endured a few decades of heavy use, however I did see a friend's old one fail on a trip.

Wanting to find a dromedary that didn't foul the taste, a local store recommended the Sea-to-Summit 'PACK TAP'. It's a two part system that has a silver inner bag surrounded by a tougher nylon carry bag. The manager said they've never had a return from a broken inner bag. Dubious, but slightly reassured from their year-long warranty, I decided to put a couple of them through the ringer, meaning not being too caring of them sliding over rocks, hanging from trees, poked, prodded, squashed with other gear, etc. to see if they lasted.

The verdict? After three years of heavy use of camping along rugged BC coastlines on about 25+ trips by now, they are holding their own. They're super light, come in various sizes, and best of all the water has no aftertaste. I've found 2x 10L bags work great for extended trips. I hope that helps!
View attachment 9901
Thanks for the tip I like the looks of that. How about the cap?

Tongo-Rad

Administrator
@chodups, the caps on the S-to-S droms are non-threaded, unlike the MSR ones where Nalgene caps can take their place. There's a snap on rubberized spout that goes onto a hard plastic adapter. It's maybe the only drawback but having said that, so far mine haven't leaked.

IMG_7410.JPG
IMG_7411.JPG

chodups

Paddler
@chodups, the caps on the S-to-S droms are non-threaded, unlike the MSR ones where Nalgene caps can take their place. There's a snap on rubberized spout that goes onto a hard plastic adapter. It's maybe the only drawback but having said that, so far mine haven't leaked.

View attachment 9902 View attachment 9903
I'm familiar with the "spouts". I used to have some water bags with those and they never leaked. I always worried that they would but they didn't. Having that black protective cap is a nice touch.

pryaker

Paddler
Thanks for the report on the sea to summit bags. My wife has been scouting them out and it's good to see a positive report. Funny your pix of the spout reminded me I had one of those bags many moons ago. It probably lasted 3-4 years and eventually I think the spout wore out and started to leak. We'll have to give them another try

cougarmeat

Paddler
I was hoping REI carried them so I’d have another target for their occasional 20% off. But though they carry REI gear, they don’t carry the Pack Tap. At first I was puzzled because the 10L just showed Red color and they showed different color choices. But the colors are specific to the bag volume (4 6, 10 L).

I noted they said the bag was good for carrying wine and I wondered if it was using the same kind of bag sometimes found in “box” wine but with a tougher (than cardboard) nylon shell.