Mystery kayak

George22

I recently bought a used fibreglass kayak with Ecomarine sticker on it but no model or brand.

Since Ecomarine went under, I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of boat this is? It's 14 feet long.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread, I'm new to this forum.

Attachments

AM

Paddler
Do you have a picture of the Ecomarine sticker? I’m wondering if the sticker was because the boat was stored down at their Granville Island racks, rather than something they actually sold.

Regardless, my guess is that the boat is the product of a local builder from the 80s. It’s possible that it was a prototype (hull only, no hatches or bulkheads) that never got into production, but that peaked back deck makes me think that it was never intended to take a hatch lid. Something about the bow makes me think of Steve Schleicher (Nimbus Kayaks), so maybe you want to contact him and see if he has any info.

The bow is pretty plumb and high volume, so this little craft will be efficient and dry in the steep chop we get in local waters. It doesn’t seem to have much rocker, so it will not turn quickly, though the short length will help with that. Of course, you need float bags fore and aft to be safe in this boat.

Cheers,
Andrew

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Of course, you need float bags fore and aft to be safe in this boat.
Absolutely!
If it's 14' long, a set of float bags for a Mariner (Coaster or Express) will fit. George Gronseth at KayakAcademy used to stock those, so you could start there.
Most of the float (air) bags online are for whitewater boats and are too small for sea kayaks.

Tangler

Paddler
It appears to have a number of features that are somewhat Marinerish.
Swedeform, pointy bow deck, no uplift on the bow, even the seat...

cougarmeat

Paddler
I recall Mariner telling me that at one time there was some ... borrowing of design ... going on. Perhaps this kayak is a product of those activities.

rider

Paddler
I recall Mariner telling me that at one time there was some ... borrowing of design ... going on. Perhaps this kayak is a product of those activities.
I think you may be referring to how Northwest ripped off the Coaster design(while Mariner was having some of their boats built at the Northwest factory) and it became Northwest Sportee, and then eventually they also introduced a plastic version, changing it yet again, and eventually sold that mold to Paluski kayaks and it became the Paluski Explorer. But all of that was probably 10 years newer than the boat in question...
My guess is it was something vaguely local and from the 80s. Possibly made by Pacific Water Sports. Google Pacific Water sports Sea Otter , the boat in question looks pretty similar though a smaller model.

Last edited:

rider

Paddler
This is the sticker that's on the boat. Would it be safe to say that this is a sea kayak?
I think that would be a bit of a stretch... Add deck lines and float bags and it will be seaworthy enough for moderate conditions.

AM

Paddler
If you outfit it as per Rider’s suggestion, that boat would do the job for day cruising. The seat is overkill and the cockpit might be a bit short. Are you an experienced paddler?

Tangler

Paddler
Well, it is definitely not a river boat...
What does it look like inside the cockpit and what does the hull look like?

rider

Paddler
Height of the rigid seat back will impede any roll that relies on laying back.and the cockpit seems to have no thigh braces. Everything can be modified to suit if needed though.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
What you’ve got is an early 70’s widened and lengthened [from 13’-1”] downriver version of the typical torpedo kayaks of the day. It’s likely fiberglass and looks not bad if it’s a homemade layup.

It has zero rocker [therefore a downriver vs slalom version of the type], but is not narrow and so does not have the outward beam cheaters that would be behind the ckpt if it was a ‘to the rule’ boat. Instead it has been widened throughout its length to gently meet the 24 inches or so beam of the day.
prijonInterceptor14-9b.jpg

PerceptionWavehopperb.jpg

downriver1c.jpg

And now your boat:
Oldschool1c.jpg

Not really worth $100 because it is so dated, but as you have it, you might as well use it - but consider it as a beater that you don’t feel ANY resistance to hack apart to make it work for you to at least some degree. But its full rounded sections and wide beam mean that is has some packing volume - and it has the ability to be paddled fairly quickly because of those nice rounded sections with its long waterline.

I think the main reason you’re getting any response about this boat here is many of us would have no qualms about getting the pruning/hack saw out to make major mods to still achieve a barely useful boat just for the fun of doing it.

The first thing is the airbags - packing bags best, then to radically cut down [or best to remove] the seat and carve a foam one. [I can’t tell for sure, but it might even be an old swivel seat!] Apply good rigid pegs next. Next is to hack out the full coaming, make a longer [maybe wider] one with thigh braces, space behind seat for proper backrest for back-leaning, plus dropped rear coaming/deck for same thing [there’s already some accommodation here, just improve]. Then at least you have a basic boat with rocker limitations, but good reasonable ergonomics, and now places to go. Heck there’s even space for a weekend’s or more gear, heh heh. And mod the bow/stern loops so that you can easily grab on if dumped or for towing – ie lower down rather than on top of deck. And then get the heck out there, start learning.

Astoriadave

Paddler
The coaming appears to be nearly lipless. An artifact of the lighting, maybe? Early days, those no-rocker boats were fashionable among a few WA designers seeking maximum hull length for slightly greater "hull speed." Very nasty in a following sea ... broach machines from hell.

For the money, a good starter boat, with some outfitting. You have been gifted with a good starter hull.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Here's a shot of a few more oldies:
OldSchoolKayaks2aa.jpg

The second one from the far left has some similarities and the 6th from the right hand side is another different one with some similarities.
Heh heh, look at the narrow coaming lip on the near right hand slalom torpedo!

rider

Paddler
Having owned a few relics of the past, I found its rarely (never actually) worth it to sink a lot of work into something that's painfully outdated because if you enjoy the sport, you will inevitably move onto something with a better,more modern hull design sooner than later, and if tou don't, it will be going up for sale soon anyway and not worth much more no matter how many hours you sink into it. I would add deck rigging, flotation and maybe improve the seat, but stay away from serious hull/deck mods.

George22

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I finally got around to take couple more pictures and testing the boat on Burnaby lake.

It tracks really well, and since this is my first boat, I'm already pretty happy with it. Because all my previous experiences kayaking were on big, heavy and wide plastic recreation kayaks.

I will install some deck lines and bungee chords, and also picked up a block of dense foam to carve another seat. But I think that's all the mods I'm going to do, like rider said it's an old boat and I will eventually sell it once I outgrow it.

Attachments

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I will install some deck lines and bungee chords, and also picked up a block of dense foam to carve another seat. But I think that's all the mods I'm going to do
IMO, You should add flotation to that list. Air bags or even wads (and wads) of bubble wrap, but you need something.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I guess I didn't mention it, but I got couple of float bags. They aren't exactly right size, but better than nothing.
Good!
All my boats have bulkheads (now) but I use flotation bags in some of them anyway. For day paddles, it keeps my lunch from sliding to the end of the boat! And, though it's never happened to me, hatch covers occasionally come adrift so the air bag is a good backup in rough conditions.