Nearly New Aleutian Paddle

drahcir

Paddler
I have a beautiful Aleut paddle, used on ~5 short flat water day trips. I bought it in hopes that it would lessen the strain on my arthritic left shoulder. I’ve not experienced this benefit and wish to sell it, to next try a Nimbus Quill.

It is 90.25" (230 cm.) long, is intended for a low angle stroke, and meant to be about 4" (10 cm.) longer than the corresponding GP.

I live in North Idaho, not the market for selling Aleut paddles. However, I will be visiting Nanaimo, arriving late Aug.28 and leaving perhaps a week later.

Price: $250 CAD

Aleut1.jpg

Aleut2.jpg

drahcir

Paddler
The weight results with my measuring devices are not persuasive, but here we go:

1. Kitchen scale - only goes up to 16 ounces (not willing to saw the Aleut in half)

2. Bathroom scale - not meant for items this light; by themselves they wouldn't even register. Nevertheless, I plunged ahead:
my weight plus Aleut - my weight = 1.6 pounds (3 repeats, same result)
my weight plus Shuna - my weight = 1.6 pounds (3 repeats, same result)
my weight plus Nimbus - my weight = 1.6 pounds (3 repeats, same result)
I consider each weight to be (1.6 + or - .05) pounds. So, for example, one could be 1.65 pounds and an other 1.56 pounds.
Then I weighed two at once
my weight plus Aleut plus Shuna - my weight = 3.4 pounds
my weight plus Nimbus plus Shuna - my weight = 3.4 pounds
suggesting the weights are over 1.6 pounds.

Then I got sick of this and quit. Again, I found the results non persuasive ... the wrong application for the bathroom scale. If I actually believed the single-paddle results, the worst case (heaviest) would be that the Aleut weighs 1.65 pounds i.e. ~26 ounces.

If I pull the worst case out of the two-paddle results, I might stretch the Aleut weight to 1.725 pounds or ~27.6 ounces. It might be slightly more realistic to assume the scale does a better job with heavier items, some sort of threshold phenomenon.

Clearly, I need a kitchen scale that goes up to 32 ounces.

nootka

Paddler
Thanks Richard.
I have a carbon Aleution from Novorca, at 700 g and a wood Aleutian at 900g
The Novorca could use a little more blade area, but I notice the extra weight of the wood one.
Scale used is a 10 pound kitchen / office one.

drahcir

Paddler
Which blade face did you settle on for the power face on the Aleut? Most opinions out there say, "use the ribbed side" as the power face, presumably reducing flutter. Yet the few extant photos of the Aleuts show them using the flat face. Unlike the GP, no surviving Aleuts taught us which they used.

nootka

Paddler
I use the ribbed face. There is no flutter and thus the paddle is less tiring for long days.
The Novorca aleutian blades are at a slight tilt towards the ribbed side ie the blade is not parallel to the loom.
I assume this favors the ribbed side but it might not..

nootka

Paddler
I tried my Aleutian today with the flat face as the power face. The loom initially felt weird but I got used to it (it's egg shaped). The flat face felt like it gave me more power than the ribbed face. So for now I will be using both faces, the flat face for speed or oomph, the ribbed face for long distance or anytime I want less catch.

dvfrggr

Paddler
I asked a native friend of mine who builds SOF, paddles and a lot of art objects. This is the response he sent, I don't use Facebook but maybe his Aleut friend could answer your questions on historic paddle use.

Andrew is an Aleut qayak/ paddle maker he would now the reason. But as a king island builder the power face Cuts the water and creates 2 worlpools side by side that propels from the paddle.

PNW_Swimmer

@drahcir

I'm truly impressed with your mass derivations.

FWIW: I've had good accuracy and repeatability with a broom handle balance beam scale hung like a 'mobile' using a string fulcrum and a 2 liter bottle on one side as a counterweight. -- Add water until balanced, then measure volume -- Go with a SG of 1 or, you can go crazy and calculate for pressure and temp (PV = nRT) offset.

drahcir

Paddler
@drahcir

FWIW: I've had good accuracy and repeatability with a broom handle balance beam scale hung like a 'mobile' using a string fulcrum and a 2 liter bottle on one side as a counterweight. -- Add water until balanced, then measure volume -- Go with a SG of 1 or, you can go crazy and calculate for pressure and temp (PV = nRT) offset.
I like your method compared to mine. My measurement precision was, at best, vague.

drahcir

Paddler
I tried my Aleutian today with the flat face as the power face. The loom initially felt weird but I got used to it (it's egg shaped). The flat face felt like it gave me more power than the ribbed face. So for now I will be using both faces, the flat face for speed or oomph, the ribbed face for long distance or anytime I want less catch.
I infer that using the flat face did not cause flutter. I suppose one could also try the flat face and cant the blade like a GP to cure any flutter, if it was a problem.

nootka

Paddler
I didn't notice flutter, but as you said, I probably canted it a bit without thinking about it.

Another opinion:

johnd

Paddler
I don't find much flutter either way, but find that using the ribbed surface as the power face seems to provide more bite. I'm sure there is some technical explanation for this , but I'm just going by subjective observation.
But the other consideration is this: try doing a skimming low brace while under momentum with the non power face if it happens to be the ribbed side. I find this not as smooth. In the end, what ever feels good for you.