Need info about Howe Sound sites

Dan_Millsip

Paddler
Does anyone have any recent information about official campsites or unofficial camping spots in Howe Sound? Specifically we're looking for info on Anvil Island but if you also have any information about other Howe Sound campsites it would be most helpful.

This section of the trail is now nearly complete but there is some information that is lacking.

Thanks in advance for any information that you might be able to contribute.

kayakwriter

Administrator
I've used the Halkett Bay site as recently as last summer. I'll try and find some pix on my home computer this weekend, and full out a report for you.

Cheers,

Philip

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Thanks Philip, that would be great!

We're also looking for any others in this area. For example we're wondering about these 3 possibilites:

overview, 2 on NE Anvil Island and one on the mainland to the NW.

Mainland one

Two in little coves on Anvil Is.

any info on this area appreciated

paddler

Paddler
anvil woes

Anvil is pretty much a no go. At medium and higher tides the shore doesn't really exist there - steep rock, with thick, steep, brushy, treed slopes up above. Pretty much the only places to camp on the island are either private land, or at low tides ONLY on some rock ledges around the NW side if you absolutely have to. Usually these are just emergency bathroom break sites (the joys of being a coffee drinker!) There are definitely scattered spots on the mainland you can tuck into all the way down to Langdale, and also spots on the NE of Gambier. And of course, the two Marine Parks - Halkett Bay, with crazy raccoons, and Keats Island. I'll try and dig up more exact locations for you on the Gambier/mainland sites.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
That would be great, thanks.

I checked those particular sites on Anvil this summer - and they are no good. Very steep, rocky and no landing worthwhile.

paddler

Paddler
gambier sites

the site I've used on Gambier is roughly

49 29' 52" N 123 20' 05" W

The beach is small-ish, but the surrounding land mass isn't as steep as elsewhere. If you use hammocks you can sleep in the trees pretty easily. If you bivy you can clamber to the point pretty easily and find ground up there for a couple of folks. It'd be rough to find a spot for two in a tent, however.

There are 2 bigger beaches to the north that again make good break spots. With appropriate tides you could probably set a tent up there, if you were so inclined.

As for the mainland sites, it's been a few years since I camped there and google earth doesn't offer up a lot of detail to jog my memory. W of McNab creek and before Port Mellon there are a couple of small pocket beaches I've camped at. Again, better suited for hammocks and bivies rather than tents.

BackCountryPunk posted a trip report in which he spent the night at an old landing "across the channel from Port Mellon". I don't know where this site is - but I'd like to!