New Level Six Cronos Drysuit

Kayak Jim

Paddler
All this discussion has me thinking I should go ahead and cut the tunnel off my Kokatat Expedition. All that velcro and fabric does get in the way. I'd probably keep the flap over the zipper (which transitions to the tunnel) and need to figure out how to tie up the loose ends (so to speak).

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Once you have a good look at the suit, you can figure out where the waterproof seams are located, and where it's safe to cut off unwanted bits. On a suit that had baggy 'overlegs' I cut them off with no ill effects - except for appeaance and 'resale value'. By the time I'm finished with a suit, it's not worth much, so not an issue for me.

One of the things I like about the Cronos is that it doesn't have any flaps over the zipper.
So I was saved the work of cutting the flaps off on a new suit. :)
Flaps over the zipper ends make it difficult to check whether the zipper is fully closed.
If you have ever jumped into the ocean to do a rescue demo and felt that cold water coming in, you will be particularly diligent in the future about checking the zipper closure!

Reactions: CPS

Mowog73

Paddler
Thanks guys, your input is very helpful in helping me to make a decision, I've bought a Cronos drysuit.

Back when I started paddling, 25 years ago, a drysuit was just too expensive, so went with the wetsuit option. It served me well for many adventures off the coasts Atlantic Canada. Then covid hit and the wetsuit is a bit more form-fitting now. When I noticed this thread about the Level Six drysuit and read this very recent article about kayaks in the Detroit river, which isn't far from me these days, it was time to get a drysuit.

Mark

Last edited:

Mowog73

Paddler
My Cronos drysuit arrived yesterday.

Took my half hour lunch today, vacuumed the family room of cat hair (in case I had to return it) and tried on the drysuit. When I first took it out of the box it looked like its for someone 7'8" tall. The sewn-in socks are about 4 inches too long I think, or I didn't have them 'fitted' quite right but even bunched into my sneakers they felt good. Getting it on is not that difficult and it seems to fit quite well. The neck gasket feels like it is choking me for the first 30 seconds but I got used to it, never had such a thing around my neck before, it actually felt comfortable. There is plenty of room once on, but not too much. I did try it a second time with a mid-weight fleece and the fit was still good. I didn't try it with fleece bottoms but I'm sure there is sufficient room for thermals. It appears to be very well made. It puts me to mind of a high end 3 layer 'gore tex' material, the seams appear to be really well done, I'm happy with it.

This afternoon I might jump into the pool with the drysuit on, check it for leaks and then hopefully venture out onto Lake Huron or Erie this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread, it gave me the confidence to make the plunge, only took me 25 years to go for it :)

ChrisPoteetPdx

I blame you John! No wait, I thank you, my wife blames you. Thanks for the specs on sizing and all the product testing level details. As a dry suit first time buyer, I came across a 20% discount on Backcountry.com and just felt I had to pull the trigger. Can't wait for this puppy to arrive.

Cheers,
Chris

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
I blame you John! No wait, I thank you, my wife blames you.
:)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words.

Let us know how it works out, once it arrives and you get a chance to use it. 20% discount on an already good price = sweet!

My first drysuit (10+ yrs ago) completely changed my attitude about practicing rescues and learning to roll.