• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

no comment - craigslist ad

I'm probably splitting hairs here but......is the seat or the combing backwards? Probably just me.

reduced to only $1200!

and the coaming? it's probably combing or gombing, you get to pick.

^
There once was a girl named Carmen Cohen.
Her mother called her Carmen and her father called her Cohen.
It got so that she didn't know whether she was Carmen or Cohen.

there once was a kayak for sale,
who confused its head and its tail,
if you go in for a ride,
it is hard to decide,
If there's an end or beginning to this tale.

tiagosantos said:
This makes me cringe and just a little bit sad.. Someone spent a ton of time (and probably a chunk of cash) doing a bunch of work on that thing :\
Me, too. I have seen worse examples, however. Boats that should not be. :roll:

I got a slightly different tack: he was asking someone to pay $1600 for it.
who do we feel for? seller or buyer?

A kayak was built of two layers,
Despite advice of nay-sayers,
Altho’ mighty and strong,
They said it was wrong,
And shouldn’t attract the big payers.

I really can't believe what I'm reading. I've been following this thread and it seems to me that most of you are like a pack of dogs after blood. He may have the combing on backwards, he may be asking too much and he may have double fibre glassed the boat but does that mean so many of you have to make fun of him and attack him. The boat may not be up to your standards but I'm sure as one person mentioned he probably put a lot of time and money into his work and consider how he feels when he reads your remarks. If he's asking too much for it he'll find out that he'll have to reduce the price and if you object to him or his boat, send him a private message and don't make a show of him over the internet. Get down off your pedestals and give the guy a chance.

With all due respect, Geri, the ad was posted to a public website and as such, people are entitled to their opinions whether or not you or I agree or disagree with them. And you have to admit the price is a quite outrageous considering what is being advertised versus what you can buy for that amount.

Responses and comments don't seem out of line, rude, or disrespectable to me.

Maybe you're right geri: but what if someone paid $1600 or now pays $1200 for that boat? Do I [and some others here] have a tiny bit of responsibility to let others here know that this is an outrageous, ridiculous situation?
Are you certain that someone won't end up paying $600, $800, or even $1000 for that [or hasn't already: sometimes ads are just left up until they go stale in a month or two]?? Should I or others who read that warn others here with a little humour? or just close our eyes and hope it goes away because it might hurt the feelings of the abuser.

Who do you protect: the abuser or the abused?

[ps - a few months ago, I purchased a used Dagger crossfire with accessories - similar in some respects to the advert- for $150, I now see a Perception dancer for the same. So my guess is that he's asking now about 15-20x what it is really worth if it had a decent shape - it doesn't]

I'm with 'Geri' on this one.

That kayak looks 'funny'; has anybody commenting actually paddled it?

Here's another 'funny-looking' boat:
Ursa_Micro.jpg

Would it have elicited the same comments here?
(It's the Ursa Micro, designed by Robert Livingston - it led directly to the Mariner Coaster, a kayak that makes it into '10 Greatest Ever Kayaks' lists.

Are we going to decide which kayaks (or other kayaking gear) offered for sale are overpriced, to protect the innocent?
I admit, when I saw that ad that I also thought some beginner might make a mistake with that boat. But unless a prospective buyer had posted here, asking for advice, I don't think it's my place to comment.
I can find boats I consider overpriced or unsuitable any day of the week on UsedVictoria or Craigslist; should I comment here?

:D I'm worried that the 'next up' for criticism and pricing comment will be a boat I have for sale! :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things are funny to me - the seat is mounted backwards and the price is laughable. I can't speak to the design because I don't have nearly as much boat design experience as Mick.

. . . I also thought some beginner might make a mistake with that boat. But unless a prospective buyer had posted here, asking for advice, I don't think it's my place to comment.
I'd be interested in other's points of view on this.

In my case, I think a beginner would be the only person who would accidentally buy that whacko kayak at that outrageous price: and as I think we have some sort of responsibility to shepherd beginners - that it would be ok to point it out and to now 'devolve' [sorry geri] into actual comment.

But I could be wrong: maybe there isn't a difference . . .

Back