• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Nootka Island - August 20-26, 2023

sbourgoin

Where the paddle takes me
Just finished a 200km trip out of Tahsis and around Nootka Island. It included a quick trip around Catala and down to Estevan Point. Such an epic place to tour around...could have spent 2-weeks paddling in and around the West Coast! The wildlife was abundant including Sea Otters, Black Bears, a pod of Gray Whales out by Hesquiat Peninsula as well as Humpback Whales and a pod of Orca Whales in Tahsis Inlet. The campsites were perfect and vacant with the exception of a few hikers on Third Beach and Yuquot. The weather was ideal - sunshine, minimal rain and wind but a full day of fog on our big crossing from Yuquot to Hesquiat Peninsula.

Highly recommend this trip to those who are curious about the beautiful West Coast of Vancouver Island!

Next trip - leaving out of Port Hardy and around the north end of Vancouver Island and down to Brookes Peninsula and into Fair Harbour...and a quick stop in at Rugged Point for a Sauna!

Thanks to those who provided insight on this trip and area...it's always greatly appreciated to hear about recommendations and suggestions.

Shawn

Sounds like a great trip, though after my (admittedly during later stages of covid when everyone was stuck incountry and doing local activities) experience on Nootka it;s surprising to hear
The campsites were perfect and vacant with the exception of a few hikers on Third Beach and Yuquot.
When we were there it was crazy busy once we got to Catala (actually even just north around jurassic too there seems to be a hiking trail between there and yellow bluff) there were hoards of kayakers and then on Nootka zillions of hikers. At Calvin's falls we landed and camped at the north end of the beach and watched a constant file of hikers march by and the whole 'amphitheatre' at the base of the falls was full of campers, probably 20-30 overnighters, same at each logical camping spot all the way down the outside of nootka! There was a constant stream of seaplanes ferrying hikers to both ends of the trail which added to the 'amibiance' After 2 weeks of solitude before getting there it wasn't our favourite part of the trip but was still worth going; we just vowed to not go back unless it was off season. Great to hear things have mellowed out!

Not sure if you noticed but it's sure great to go for more than a 'typical' one week trip, eh? After a series of 4 week trips the last few years I'm kinda spoiled. I really don't feel in sync with paddling until around day 10-12 now. My wife who has many more years (she has summers off) experience with this had always said this was true but I only felt it once I'd experienced it.

When we were there it was crazy busy once we got to Catala (actually even just north around jurassic too there seems to be a hiking trail between there and yellow bluff) there were hoards of kayakers
What time of year was this? Love this area, so I need to know when NOT to go.

FYI, I did the Cape Scott trip (Port Hardy to Coal Harbour) this year in mid-June, and in the 12 days we were out there we never saw another kayaker.

FYI, I did the Cape Scott trip (Port Hardy to Coal Harbour) this year in mid-June, and in the 12 days we were out there we never saw another kayaker.
That's a great trip.

Reactions: AM
What time of year was this? Love this area, so I need to know when NOT to go.

July 2021

Reactions: a_c
Back