• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Oil spill fouling Burrard Inlet

Robert_Meier

Paddler
Probably not a good idea to be paddling around Port Moody these days:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 40&k=92588

From the Vancouver Sun

Oil spill fouling Burrard Inlet
Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Thousands of litres of oil are gushing out of a pipeline beneath the Barnet Highway in Burnaby, and the area is being evacuated, Global Television News is reporting. Witnesses are calling it a "river" of oil, and say there is so much oil it's now pouring into Burrard Inlet, potentially becoming a major spill, radio station News1130 reported.
RCMP said a vehicle hit an oil head at Inlet and Ridge in Burnaby.
"As a result, a large amount of oil has been spilled," a police press release said.
A Hazardous Materials team and Burnaby Fire Department members are at the scene, police said.
Police are on the scene, closing road.
Workers in the area are saying the line carries crude from oil tanker docks to a nearby refinery. Burnaby firefighters, police and oil workers are all responding, News1130 said.
Evacuations are underway in homes from West of Inlet Drive, along Ridge, Belcarra Malibu Drive and North Cliff Cresent.

EVERYBODY SING!

"Come 'n listen to muh story 'bout a driver named Jed
A poor commuter, barely kept his family fed
And then one day, he was drivin' down the...uh..rood
And up through the ground come a bubblin' crude
Oil, that is...black gold...Texas tea"

No? Did I cross the line into poor taste again? :oops:

(joking aside, I hope they get it under control and cleaned up before it becomes more serious than it already is...)

Even heard about it up here. What a potential mess. Then, don't even try to imagine how the evening rush hour is going to go, should be well under way by now. Then there is tomorrow morning.

When the tide comes in, the oil could go all the way up the inlet. Hopefully, that is under control. Several dozen seals haul out on the log booms. Could foul all of Indian Arm, if not controlled.

Hopefully, it's under control by now.

According to CBC radio around 1 pm, it was an excavator hit the pipeline and the operator claimed that it was not where the drawings showed. Haven't been listening since.

When they say oil is $30 a barrel, is that $30 a barrel from anybody, or do you have to be 'special'?
How about $15 for a couple of really large bucketfulls?

This news made it all the way to Seattle. KIRO TV7 showed the slick on the water. Looked like a roadway on the water the slick was soooo wide.

Ooops --- shows you how out of touch I am, crude oil is more like $75/barrel!
Well ok then, how about $10 for a slurpy container-full (the really big one)?

All seemed well last night at Rocky Point. There was the smell of oil in the air but nothing in the water.

I looked at it last night from the Wild Bird Trust on the North Van side with binoculars. I didn't see any immediate signs of significant damage in Burrard Inlet. There was no sign of oil on the mud flats in the bird sanctuary. On the other side where the spill occured, I couldn't see any sign of oil on the water, it was all blue and ruffled by a light wind. There were two booms that were both close in shore and there was a huge tank truck sucking up the oil. You could hear the pump across the Inlet.

Back